Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we might be moving that way and we are seriously considering Lees Summit however, my husband would be working in Overland Park area. How feasible is that commute? Anybody know how long it would take? What is traffic like?

This is one of those deals where it's going to happen, but not exactly sure when and being a planner by nature, I can't just sit around and twiddle my thumbs so I'm researching whatever I can, lol!

We want to be on the Missouri side because of vaccine exemption laws, so any other cities you can reccomend as a good area and good commute?

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Jenni

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply
I know Sprint has a big presence in Overland Park--if he were to commute from Lee's Summit to there, any guess on how long? (I know it also depends on time of day, etc., but I'm trying to get a rough idea) Think it's a 30 minute commute? An hour commute?

Anybody in Lee's Summit want to give me the scoop on the area? Everything that I'm finding and reading makes me think it's "my kind of town", LOL, but I'd love some insider perspective on the area!

Jenni

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dar! I truly appreciate these responses!

The vaccine issue is what has prompted us to want to be on the MO side, so I guess maybe I need some clarification on the vaccine issue, if anyone has got it! This is what I've found:

KS: a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations.

MO: A child is exempt if a parent objects in writing to the school administrator that immunization of that child violates his/her religious beliefs.

Based on that information, and that on some KS gov't site it says they can request letter from clergy, it seemed to me that claiming religious exemption in KS is much more complicated? I am a very mainstream religion that takes no formal stance against vaccination, though it does allow for moral conscience which is how I've been handling it to this point. But we are definitely not "adherents of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed"! My research indicates KS religious exemption is quite narrow. In my current state, we just write "administration of immunizing agents conflicts with my religious beliefs" and sign on the dotted line--they can't ask what those beliefs are so all is well and I've never had a problem--and the few people I have talked to indicate that MO is much more in line with that.

Can you shed any more light on it for me? Anyone claiming exemption in KS with a religion that takes no formal stance? What has your experience been?

THANKS AGAIN!

jenni

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well ladies, looks like this might actually be happening sooner than later. We're still leaning heavily towards Lees Summit, so those of you from there, gimme the scoop!! Where do we NOT want to be, what schools are good, preschool recommendations, the whole shebang--I will gladly soak up any info you want to share! (And for my DH, he is a bike rider--are there any trails or the like in the area, or even if he has to drive a small distance on weekends, for this?)

A little about us
We have 2 girls, 6 and 3, and we were moderately crunchy when they were little. We are now at a point where they are out of our bed, finished nursing, and would prefer to walk than be snuggled in arms so I feel a little out of the circle now, lol. We do not vax, so that's a bit alternative I guess. Honestly, we are pretty middle-of-the-road people these days but subscribe to the philosophy that everyone must do what is best for their family and their children and no one else should be judging that! We are not big on doctors, prefering alternatives when possible, and have been lucky to have a ped of the same mindset. We are not currently homeschooling, but are considering it for the future.

I would love to make contact with someone and pick your brains about an area of the country I've never even driven through!

Jenni

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.