Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessitron
My best friend lives in KC, and she and DH work in Overland Park. I've spent months there working at Sprint Campus, too. Lee's Summit is pretty far from Overland Park and for KC the traffic is bad, but I agree with the PP that KC traffic at its worst is not as bad as normal rush-hour in other cities.

Overland Park is a trendy area and expensive to live in.

One observation: Kansas is much more natural-birth friendly. Missouri is terrible, but my friend's hospital in Kansas, near Overland Park, sounded exceptionally good. They even do water births.
Which hospital would that be? I thought the only hospital that did water births was Research - and that is on the MO side.

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessitron
It was Olathe Medical Center. It sounded great, from everything she said about it, and her doctor too - very natural-birth-friendly compared to anything (legal) in St. Louis.
Too bad she had an elective C

THat is where I had my last baby...They didn't do water birth 3 years ago...BUT they do have large jacuzzis in every room.

A nurse at another hospital told me it is "the hippy birth place"...Guess she didn't know that when I was looking for a hospital I said "I want the closest thing to a home birth you can get in a hospital"....

I have been told that some of the OBs aren't as natural birth friendly as the FP....I had my birth attended by my FP's partner and he was great...After intro. himself he said "Is there anything in your birth plan I should be aware of?" (not 'do you have a birth plan - he just assumed I did.)

So, St. Louis isn't particularly natural birth friendly?

· Registered
71 Posts
I won't be a lot of help b/c we are also looking to move - probably Blue Springs (Homes seem to be a bit older with more character.) or maybe Lee's Summit. However, I am right down here already...on the Kansas side...(Dh's job is moving to the MO side - He doesn't look forward to the added commute time and I don't want to deal with taxes in two states)

I will eagerly read what others post here to help me in my search too....

· Registered
71 Posts
I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but we are about to make the move I mentioned earlier.

We are driving ourselves nuts with trying to coordinate all the moving stuff...Oh and trying to figure out if we really want to be in Lee's Summit, Greenwood, Lone Jack, Pleasant Hill etc.

Dh started his work there the end of March and HATES the drive so we need to move sooner rather than later.....

Anyone with info on a 4 bedroom house in that area for under $180k- let me know.

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nursing2mom
Good luck to you! Moving is so stressful, and exciting, too. You said your husband hates the drive--- is he living here and commuting to Overland Park or downtown? Or is he living at home still and commuting to KC? I know the commute from Lee's Summit to downtown or KS is very hard on my husband. Might really make a difference where you are willing to move. Greenwood has some cheaper housing, but it's farther to drive to the main areas. Same with Pleasant Hill, I think. Certainly more affordable housing as far as I've seen, though.

I will send good thoughts your way and wish the best for you. Been there/done that and am enjoying being IN our house and NOT moving for a couple of years or so. This will be you soon, I hope!

Laurel
I should have said that I wasn't the one who started this thread, but jumped in on it b/c we were looking into LS when the thread started. We are on the Kansas side and Dh is commuting to LS now.

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nursing2mom
Good luck to you! Moving is so stressful, and exciting, too. You said your husband hates the drive--- is he living here and commuting to Overland Park or downtown? Or is he living at home still and commuting to KC? I know the commute from Lee's Summit to downtown or KS is very hard on my husband. Might really make a difference where you are willing to move. Greenwood has some cheaper housing, but it's farther to drive to the main areas. Same with Pleasant Hill, I think. Certainly more affordable housing as far as I've seen, though.

I will send good thoughts your way and wish the best for you. Been there/done that and am enjoying being IN our house and NOT moving for a couple of years or so. This will be you soon, I hope!

Laurel
I should have said that I wasn't the one who started this thread, but jumped in on it b/c we were looking into LS when the thread started. We are on the Kansas side and Dh is commuting to LS now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.