Mothering Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello All. I am a newbie, so please have patience. I am very glad to find this forum. My ds is about 18 months old and we are selectively vaxing. I also work FT, so dealing with doctors are just an added stress. My son hasn't been to the same doctor twice, but I have gone to the same practice. As I have just about exhausted the doctors there, I am looking for another.

I might add that I live in Independence and commute downtown. I am so tired of defending my decisions that I dread making appointments. I have been humilated, screamed at, and one told me that I was uneducated. Because I am not totally sold on vaxing, I mainly want a family doctor that we can go yearly or so and when he is very ill. Mommy&Will mentioned Shari Ommen. I plan to make an appt soon with Shari. Hopefully she will become our regular!

Religious Exemption - I have seen the form and it is on an official Missouri website. Something easy to print out from home, fill out, and hand to the school. I have no problems claiming this exemption. To me, my beliefs are my religion.

I didn't realize how contraversial parenting could be. I learned about co-sleeping and breastfeeding from Dr. Sears. His book was my lifesaver when my ds was a newborn. He is/was a high need baby and it would have been so much harder w/out AP.

· Registered
50 Posts
Did you ever go see Shari Ommen? I am needing a new doctor, too! I am right with you re: the vaxing. Now they are adding another one-- was it Rotovirus? Can't remember.

I also learned about attachment parenting from Dr. Sears right before my first was born. And I found a great group of like-minded moms in La Leche League, and that helped me to con't our "controversial" lifestyle. It really IS controversial here in Missouri, don't you think? Kind of weird as I never thought of myself as a buck-the-system sort of gal, but that's how it's turning out. My family is tolerant, and some of them are venturing into being supportive, which is helpful.

Have you found a mom/group of moms who also attachment parent? I've given up on finding someone who selectively (or doesn't at all) vaxes. It seems people freak out enough at sleeping with your child and extending breastfeeding beyond one year.

Let me know if you saw that doctor and how it went, if you get a chance. I'm on the lookout for a more open pediatrician, too.

· Registered
71 Posts
I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but we are about to make the move I mentioned earlier.

We are driving ourselves nuts with trying to coordinate all the moving stuff...Oh and trying to figure out if we really want to be in Lee's Summit, Greenwood, Lone Jack, Pleasant Hill etc.

Dh started his work there the end of March and HATES the drive so we need to move sooner rather than later.....

Anyone with info on a 4 bedroom house in that area for under $180k- let me know.

· Registered
50 Posts
Good luck to you! Moving is so stressful, and exciting, too. You said your husband hates the drive--- is he living here and commuting to Overland Park or downtown? Or is he living at home still and commuting to KC? I know the commute from Lee's Summit to downtown or KS is very hard on my husband. Might really make a difference where you are willing to move. Greenwood has some cheaper housing, but it's farther to drive to the main areas. Same with Pleasant Hill, I think. Certainly more affordable housing as far as I've seen, though.

I will send good thoughts your way and wish the best for you. Been there/done that and am enjoying being IN our house and NOT moving for a couple of years or so. This will be you soon, I hope!

Laurel

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nursing2mom
Good luck to you! Moving is so stressful, and exciting, too. You said your husband hates the drive--- is he living here and commuting to Overland Park or downtown? Or is he living at home still and commuting to KC? I know the commute from Lee's Summit to downtown or KS is very hard on my husband. Might really make a difference where you are willing to move. Greenwood has some cheaper housing, but it's farther to drive to the main areas. Same with Pleasant Hill, I think. Certainly more affordable housing as far as I've seen, though.

I will send good thoughts your way and wish the best for you. Been there/done that and am enjoying being IN our house and NOT moving for a couple of years or so. This will be you soon, I hope!

Laurel
I should have said that I wasn't the one who started this thread, but jumped in on it b/c we were looking into LS when the thread started. We are on the Kansas side and Dh is commuting to LS now.

· Registered
71 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nursing2mom

Laurel
I should have said that I wasn't the one who started this thread, but jumped in on it b/c we were looking into LS when the thread started. We are on the Kansas side and Dh is commuting to LS now.

· Registered
291 Posts
my parents are selling their 4-bedroom house in blue springs. it's about 10 years old, and in great shape. i'd love to give you more info via email.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.