Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I asked this over on the MO board, but thought I'd try here, as well, thanks!)

we might be moving that way and we are considering Lees Summit. However, my husband would be working in Overland Park area. How feasible is that commute? Anybody know how long it would take? What is traffic like? I know Sprint has a pretty big presence in OP, if that's a decent reference point for commute time.

This is one of those deals where it's supposed to happen, but not exactly sure when and being a planner by nature, I can't just sit around and twiddle my thumbs so I'm researching whatever I can, lol!

We want to be on the Missouri side because of vaccine exemption laws, so any other cities you can reccomend as a good area and good commute? Also, anybody in Lee's Summit want to give me the scoop on the area? Everything that I'm finding and reading makes me think it's "my kind of town", LOL, but I'd love some insider perspective on the area!

THANK YOU!

Jenni

p.s. maybe i should also ask...I was under the impression that vax exemptions (for school purposes) are easier in MO than KS? Is my information correct? We file a religious exemption, but we are not a religion that takes a formal, church-wide stance on vaccinations. Thanks again!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Jenni,
We live on the Kansas side. We also have religious and medical exemption. I don't think it is any different than Missouri side. We have a pretty big group of AP/Natural parenting families from all over the KC metro area KS and MO sides. One of our ladies chats on here and she is from Lee's Summit. I will send her over here to give you the scoop. She likes it but it seems there is tons more to do over here on the KS side.

I live in Gardner, KS it is outside of Olathe. My DH works at the Sprint Campus in OP. It takes him about 20-30 to get to work. Then longer on the way home because of traffic. We like living in Gardner. It is about 20,000 people and growing everyday.

The big problem with living on the MO side and commuting to Overland Park is that you have to drive through the Grandview Triangle which is a major rush hour spot. It can lengthen your commute by another 20 mins or more depending on traffic and time of day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jaime! That helps! The vaccine issue is what has driven us to this point, so guess maybe I need some clarification on the vaccine issue, if anyone has got it! This is what I've found:

KS: a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such tests or inoculations.

MO: A child is exempt if a parent objects in writing to the school administrator that immunization of that child violates his/her religious beliefs.

Based on that information, and that on some KS gov't site it says they can request letter from clergy, it seemed to me that claiming religious exemption in KS is much more complicated? I am a very mainstream religion that takes no formal stance against vaccination, though it does allow for moral conscience which is how I've been handling it to this point. In my current state, we just write "administration of immunizing agents conflicts with my religious beliefs" and sign on the dotted line--they can't ask what those beliefs are so all is well and I've never had a problem.

Is anybody claiming religious exemption in KS with a religion that is not formally opposed to vaccination? Fill me in!

Jenni

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I live in Gardner, Kansas too. We are a very easy 15-20 minute commute to overland park, and homes have great resale value here. IMHO the commute from overland park to lee's summit would be miserable, perhaps a 45 min in traffic because of the triangle. And missouri roads have more potholes than kansas....and I am a little bitter because we lost our shirts on a home in Missouri, that ain't gonna happen to us in Johnson County...

I think the air quality is better in Gardner than in Lee's Summit, we have given both areas the sniff test.....Lee's summit smells like pesticides.

Hello JaimeP, how nice to meet someone from Gardner!

We have lived in KS and MO and don't vaccinate and not vaxing has never been a problem, all you have to do is have a waiver and it is very easy to do without any hassle in both states.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am in OP - though North of the Sprint campus....I would agree that the commute from there would be a 'challenge' 30 to 45 minutes depending on time of day and what road construction is going on in the area. The 'triangle' seems to always be under some sort of construction - that further complicates matters.

I haven't had first hand experience with the religious exemption. I suspect in either state you could get a 'poop' in the administration who wanted to challenge the exemption.

It has also been said that b/c of stuff with separation of church and state that the stuff in Kansas regs can't really be enforced any way. I don't know if it has been legally challenged however.

This has been a depressing thing for me after a move from a state with a 'philosophical' objection.

With Lee's Summit too you want to be careful where you move there....I can't remember what it was when we were looking there - but something is being built out that way that would make certain neighborhoods decline in value (as well as appeal for living)

Greenwood is another 'up and coming' city on the MO. side -- and where we might look to move. (We just found out that Dh's job may move to Lee's Summit in a year. Putting him on a commute that would not be fun from this direction either.)

If you look you will find property in Johnson County to be higher - but the increase in value seems to be greater each year too. There are also some surprising older neighborhoods where the cost of a home is pretty reasonable.

The schools are also really highly rated in the county- Shawnee Mission District, Blue Valley District and Olathe. I don't know as much about the Mo districts except that you do not want to be in the Kansas City MO. district.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am in OP - though North of the Sprint campus....I would agree that the commute from LS would be a 'challenge' 30 to 45 minutes depending on time of day and what road construction is going on in the area. The 'triangle' seems to always be under some sort of construction - that further complicates matters.

I haven't had first hand experience with the religious exemption. I suspect in either state you could get a 'poop' in the administration who wanted to challenge the exemption.

It has also been said that b/c of stuff with separation of church and state that the stuff in Kansas regs can't really be enforced any way. I don't know if it has been legally challenged however.

This has been a depressing thing for me after a move from a state with a 'philosophical' objection.

With Lee's Summit too you want to be careful where you move there....I can't remember what it was when we were looking there - but something is being built out that way that would make certain neighborhoods decline in value (as well as appeal for living)

Greenwood is another 'up and coming' city on the MO. side -- and where we might look to move. (We just found out that Dh's job may move to Lee's Summit in a year. Putting him on a commute that would not be fun from this direction either.)

If you look you will find property in Johnson County to be higher - but the increase in value seems to be greater each year too. There are also some surprising older neighborhoods where the cost of a home is pretty reasonable.

The schools are also really highly rated in the county- Shawnee Mission District, Blue Valley District and Olathe. I don't know as much about the Mo districts except that you do not want to be in the Kansas City MO. district.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I might be WAAAY too late on this, but if you haven't decided yet... taxes might be a consideration. Some people will disagree, but I thought it was a pain to file in KS and MO.

And if you have moved, welcome to the area!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts