Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'found' my dd birth aunt last year. She adopted dd's 1/2 brother. We emailed for a couple of months and at that time the birth aunt said she (and the family) would love to meet my dd. At that time, my dd wasn't ready to meet anyone, so I passed that info along. After a couple of months the emails stopped. About 6 months later I emailed (Christmas time) and asked how the family was and all. She said her father had passed away and they were moving. I never got anymore replies to emails.

Recently my dd expressed interest in meeting her 1/2 brother, so I emailed the aunt again and never got a reply. She has forwarded some stuff (junk email) on to me and in April sent her son's prom picture. I've sent a couple of emails asking if they would be willing to meet....but she never replies.

Should I just let this go? Should I contact her again in the future? When? Or should I simply let it go...she has my email if she wants to contact us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
I think this is a tough situation, and so its hard to say what would be best to do. I've read your post a few times trying to figure out what I might recommend.

The fact that she has forwarded some stuff to you and sent her son's prom picture seems to point to some interest in maintaing a relationship. But perhaps for some reason dd's 1/2 brother has rejected the idea or is not ready, and your dd's birth aunt feels badly or is embarrassed to tell you. It's hard to say. Or maybe she's just been so busy with her dad dying and everything, and she's too overwhelmed to reply. It could be any number of things.

I am not sure the best course of action, but if I were in your shoes, I think I might call her if I had her phone number or could get a hold of it. I probably wouldn't leave a message if she didn't answer, but would try again another time. If you can't get a phone number for her, the best you can do is just hold the door open. I wouldn't make a big effort to try to be in touch with her, and I would probably give up on asking to get together, but maybe every-once-in-a-while (winter holidays, for example), email a photo or two and a few sentences or a short paragraph to update her on how you and dd are doing. The bridge isn't burned that way, and she knows the door is open if eventually they are able and desire to get together. In the meantime, I'd prep your daughter for probably not meeting her 1/2 brother at this point.

Hope you figure out a solution that feels okay to you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,581 Posts
This is a tough one. I agree with Sierra's wise comments. Keep the relationship going but hold off on the meeting for now. Let it unfold. If it is meant to, it will.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top