Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chickens have recently started having a heyday in my garden. They have dug up a newly planted squash transplant, eaten nine heads of romaine, and scratched my beet seedlings to death. I am on the verge of keeping them in their coop for fear of more damage. I thought they were supposed to be good for the garden???

·
Registered
535 Posts
If its unplanted or you're having them clean up after harvest, yes. Otherwise, no, they will dig and eat everything you don't want them to touch. If you like them free ranging you might just want to fence them out of the garden.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Fence your garden until it's done for the summer. You will not have a summer garden without a way to keep the chickend out of there. 6+ feet high, chickens can fly. At the end of the season let them have at it. They will clean the plants till there gone, eat worms to their delight and fertizle the soil for next year.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to keep mine out of the ROAD.<br>
We live in town.<br>
Today I pulled into our driveway and two strangers were there. They were like are these your CHICKENS? They were in the road stopping traffic.<br>
oh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts