Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me construct a dip you could make from Kefir. I plan to strain ita little to make it thicker, but then, what goes in a dip? On your average dip container, there's the ever freaky "spices" which means who knows what they're throwing in there.<br><br>
My first thought is chives, but what else?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
You might check out goat cheese (like Chevre) for ideas. I know my favorite Chevre to make is basil, sundried tomatoes and finely chopped/ground hazelnuts.<br><br>
Chives sounds good too!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've never tried these with kefir, usually with yogurt, but I'm sure it would sub fine if it was thick enough.<br><br>
Cucumber dip--diced cucumbers, garlic, lemon juice and fresh parsley<br><br>
or you could do a ranch style dip with fresh herbs/garlic/chives, etc.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've only used yogurt for dips, but it is good with lots of garlic and fresh parsley.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I drain kefir until it looks like cream cheese, add onion powder, garlic powder, pinch of salt and sugar, a bit of dill weeds or finely chopped parsley. If you like, add a bit of softened butter then mix until smooth. If it's too dry, add some whey back into it or use sour cream. Blend until the desired consistency. This can be used as spread or dips. If you like gourmet, add a small package of smoked salmon and a few drops of lemon juice. Very delicious!<br><br>
Al

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Finely chopped spring onion and lemon juice? Chives? Tomato paste? Grated cheese? Basil pesto sounds good too...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the great ideas!! I always end up throwing in too many different things when I make a dip and it just comes up making people go: eh...

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to say that, kefir makes a great dip! I've never really cared for it as a drink/smoothie, but I'd drink it anyway. But drain the whey off, throw some chives in it (it's fun to throw the blossoms in for the purple color), and a little sea salt, and holy wow! It's amazing on eggs too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts