Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've jsut started drinking Kefir and it's one of those foods that my body immediately reacts to - I can just feel it's good for me!

My interest in it grew out of research I've been doing regarding my GBS positive status in this second pregnancy. My midwives have a policy of using IV antibiotics during labor for GBS positive Mamas, but I'm concerned about the higher possibility of developing thrush or other issues as a result of this practice.

I'd like to eat/drink foods that will help me and our wee one naturally avoid any such nastiness, but am wondering how much is enough? What would ya'll recommend? And are there other foods out there that I should be considering adding to my diet?

Many thanks,
Kristen

·
Registered
821 Posts
This is not a diet thing but over on the preggo boards there has been a recommendation to used garlic "up there" at night for the week before your test.

Deb

·
Registered
226 Posts
i was in the same boat as you (gbs+) and took culturelle probitiocs throughout and after my pg and din't get any thrush from the abx in the iv. make sure to request a heplock so you don't have o be hooked up to the iv pole, it's only necessary every 4 hours. hth!

·
Registered
669 Posts
My midwife recommended probiotics for me too (after 20 weeks) in the hopes of warding off GBS. I bought the Culturelle pills but decided they were too expensive, and started making my own 24 hour yogurt instead. I ate it at least once/day with banana. I ended up GBS- this time around (last time I was +ve). I can't say whether or not it helped for sure, but at the very least I enjoyed the yogurt

·
Registered
669 Posts
Heh - I think I've also heard to making a yogurt suppository (?is that the right word) and putting it right in. Double check on that one though before going ahead with it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts