Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Something is up with my kefir grains and i'm hoping someone can help me. I ordered some grains from cultures for life and am trying to get them rehydrated. I've been following the directions provided by putting the grains in a jar with a glass of milk and straining off the milk every 24 hours, I've been doing this for a week and a half now and instead of turning the milk to kefir (with the curdled type appearance and taste of kefir) it's very creamy, thick, yogurt-yy and VERY glue-y in consistency! What is going on? It doesn't smell sour so I've been using it to cook with but I really don't know what it is or what to do to get my grains to make kefir! </p>

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
<p>Maybe I should wake my grains up and get them going and then give you some.</p>

·
Registered
141 Posts
<p>It might take the grains a while to become their full strength after waking up from dormancy.  My kefir is like you described if I don't let the grains sit in the milk long enough, or if there is too much milk to grains ratio.  The longer my grains sit in the milk, the more sour the kefir becomes.  Have you tried adjusting the timings, or the ratio of milk?</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts