Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my kefir nice and sour, and always leave it till it seperates into curds and whey. The problem i'm having, is that i put my grains (about a tablespoon) into my raw milk in a glass jar (about 2 cups) but they float to the top and ferment the milk there. The milk at the bottom of the jar is just the mild clabbered milk, that it would become if i just left the milk out on its own to naturally ferment.<br>
So i have the top bit which is kefir, and the rest of the milk which isnt. How do you go about making sure ALL the milk is kefired? (I hope this makes sense!)<br>
I tried stirring the grains into the solified curd and letting it ferment like that but it didnt really work...<br>
By the way, im keeping the milk at room temperature so it takes at least 24 hours to seperate into curds and whey<br><br>
any tips?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
am not an expert but have used kefir grains for a year now<br><br>
I would suggest reducing the quantity of milk to start with, for exemple just one cup or two thirds of a cup, until your grains start multiplying, at which point you'll be able to ferment more milk because of the bigger volume of your grains<br><br>
plus I would maybe swish the jar a couple of time during the day<br><br>
my worry a few months back was = when do you start reducing the amount of grains you use for the set amount of milk you want kefired ? the answers I was given were more or less to do my own experiment since different batch of grains will react differently to time and temperatures anyway ....<br><br>
I had the opposite problem I suppose, my milk kefired too fast ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts