Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got kefir grains in the mail and have had them sitting in milk on my counter for 36 hours. I had DH drink some and he said it tasted like sour milk. Did something go wrong, or it this how it is supposed to taste?
Help!

· Registered
47 Posts
I find that mine tastes like tangy milk mixed with soda water!

I drink it as a smoothie with banana and a whole lot of extra nutritional bits added in. It also makes fantastic pancakes etc etc.

I don't drink mine plain.

· Registered
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, really silly question then- how do you know when it's worked vs. the milk just spoiling from being out?
:

· Registered
47 Posts
If your milk is raw, it won't really go off. It will just sour and separate into curds and whey.

My DH forgot to bring the milk in from milking one morning and I found it sitting out in the garage later that afternoon. So I just left it sit on the kitchen counter for 4 days until it was completely separated, and turned the curds into cheesecake, and used the whey to make baby formula. It was a real challenge to not see it as "off" but as a nutritious food!

Anyway - I think 24 - 36 hours is enough for kefir. Mine only thickens to a runny yoghurt consistency. I think the one you made sounds perfect.

· Registered
3,103 Posts
I always say that kefir tastes the way baby puke smells - yum!

· Registered
5,655 Posts
If you've just received them in the mail, keep in mind it can take a few batches before they work properly with your milk (they need time to adjust to your particular milk). You will know the milk has kefired when it thickens (the pictures referred to by the PP are great for this too).

While the kefir grains are adjusting, keep them in relatively small amounts of milk (just a cup is fine) until they reliably kefir within 24-48 hours. This simply reduces the amount of waste. Until they adjust though, you need to be changing the milk out every 48 hours and giving them fresh milk to work on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.