Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any strong opinions about kefir (positive or negative)? I recently came across the Mercola website and agree with some of his ideas and disagree with others.<br>
Does anyone give kefir to your children? If so, how old should they be before having a bit?<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I don't have any answers to your questions, but I'd like to piggy-back a few of my own kefir questions on your thread, if you don't mind. Specifically, is kefir the same thing as "drinkable yogurt" or is it something different?

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's different. It almost has a fizzy quality to it. I don't know the answer to the other question. My son is almost 2 1/2 and he's been drinking it for about a year. That's when I first found out about it. He loves it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think kefir is great! Though actually I make probiotic yogurt at home out of raw goats milk and prefer the flavor of that better. If you listen to the pro-kefir folks, they'll have you believing that kefir is so much better than yogurt. I'm not convinced about that. But I think it is a great way to get probiotics into your intestinal tract which helps your digestive system. This page is the best source for kefir info: <a href="http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html" target="_blank">http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html</a><br><br>
I give some to my 20 mo. old DD and she does not have any problems with it. So possibly you can try a bit with your children and see if they can tolerate it or not. I actually prefer giving fermented milk products to my child over non-fermented because the fermentation breaks down the lactose and makes the proteins more digestible.<br><br>
ETA: kefir is different from drinkable yogurt b/c there are different beasties in it. The bacteria/yeasts in kefir cause fizziness from the fermentation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts