Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started doing some "add ins" in DD's diet. I've been adding ground flaxseed, kelp powder, and coconut oil. I am thinking about flax oil.

But I just have no idea at all how much to add! I've been giving her 1/2-1 tsp flaxseed a day, just a pinch of kelp, and 1/2 tsp coconut oil. These are not based on anything I've read, just random. The flax I do to help her poop, the kelp for minerals and a new taste, and the coconut oil for good fats. I'd like to try flax oil too for her for the same reason.

Do you give these things to your LO or have read about them? How much do you use?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The pinch of kelp sounds good. I think you could give 1tsp at least of coconut oil. Your LO may even like it straight (mine does).

I don't know anything about infants and flax seed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It (flaxseed) was recommended by my pediatrician for constipation. Also it recommends it in the Sears Baby Book, and also in "Super Baby Food". Until now I never heard anything negative about flax and babies....! Now I am concerned.

CookAMH---Do you give your LO the CO daily or just sometimes?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post
It (flaxseed) was recommended by my pediatrician for constipation. Also it recommends it in the Sears Baby Book, and also in "Super Baby Food". Until now I never heard anything negative about flax and babies....! Now I am concerned.

CookAMH---Do you give your LO the CO daily or just sometimes?
That's good to know about flax. Dr Sears is pretty reliable. If you know the adult recommended intake for flax oil, I'd give a fraction of that and you'd probably be good to go.

Re: CO - I try to give it daily and either feed directly or mix in his food. IMO, it's the best thing he can eat besides breastmilk.

I'm thinking about adding nutritional yeast sometime, to my own diet and his. (as an aside). It has b vitamins.

Reactions: Breezy88

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I used it to saute, as a face cream, a diaper cream. I add it to smoothies (last item to add, slowly, in a thin stream, melted).

Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid that neutralizes free radicals in your body, it has antiviral properties and antimicrobial properties, it is used as energy right way and not stored as fat. It can regulate adrenals, thyroid, and more. If you would like to read specifically about it, The Coconut Oil Miracle Oil book is great.

I think with baking you can use it interchangeably. There are some things where I don't really want the coconut flavor to come off so I use maybe half or just use it elsewhere. It's a high heat oil and is stable to not break down into trans fats when heated.

It's nourishing and healthy!

This page has some good info http://www.coconutoil.com/litalee.htm

Come on over to Traditional Foods if you have any specific questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.