Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15474488/

Quote:
NEW YORK - Kentucky Fried Chicken on Monday said it will switch to a cooking oil with no trans fat in all its U.S. fried-chicken restaurants by April 2007.

Artificial trans fatty acids are so common that the average American eats 4.7 pounds a year, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Trans fat increases the low-density lipoprotein, or the so-called bad cholesterol, content of food, clogging arteries and causing heart disease. Researchers at Harvard's School of Public Health estimated that trans fats contribute to 30,000 U.S. deaths a year.

Starting Jan. 1, 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration made it mandatory for all food products to list their trans-fat content.
Mmmm. Famous bowl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,705 Posts
What nobody seems to understand is that, when you fry things in polyunsaturated vegetable oils, trans fats are produced. Wasn't chicken traditionally fried in chicken fat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,943 Posts
4.7 pounds is a very disturbing number. Let's see the average American eat:

4.7 pounds of trans-fats
120 or so pounds of sugar
Probably the same amount of high fructose corn syrup
and possible 3 pounds of fruits and veggies that are not potatoes


They're keeping the trans-fats in biscuits... oh boy! (Don't they make trans-fat free Crisco? Couldn't they use that?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,270 Posts
Now if they would only stop using chickens...

Spectrum makes non-hydrogenated shortening. But KFC's too cheap to use that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
Yeah you can use palm oil to make non-hydrogenated shortening. I am not convinced that the genetically modified soybeans they are using now is any safer than the other oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyBird View Post
Yeah you can use palm oil to make non-hydrogenated shortening. I am not convinced that the genetically modified soybeans they are using now is any safer than the other oil.
This reminds me, I just rented and watched "The Future of Food" on Amazon. Basically, all about evil Monsanto and their genetically modified canola oil. Very upsetting.

When I make biscuits (which is rare... and trust me, they're no where near as good as KFCs), I use heart-healthy bisquick and low-fat sour cream. Very yummy. Or a bit of milk, garlic, and cheddar cheese.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuMyy View Post
Now if they would only stop using chickens...
Even better.

I'm pretty sure McDonalds has already gone that route.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
When I make biscuits (which is rare... and trust me, they're no where near as good as KFCs), I use heart-healthy bisquick and low-fat sour cream. Very yummy. Or a bit of milk, garlic, and cheddar cheese.
What's so heart-healthy about lowfat sour cream?

Personally, I'd rather make bisquits with real butter and buttermilk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,486 Posts
oooooh! Health food throwdown! Quick, call the vegans and the Nourishing Tradition folks for the rumble!

Rules: No knives, razors, sprouted fermented grains, salmonella infested raw eggs, or soy-based GMO pretend meats.

Annnnd, go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
oooooh! Health food throwdown! Quick, call the vegans and the Nourishing Tradition folks for the rumble!

Rules: No knives, razors, sprouted fermented grains, salmonella infested raw eggs, or soy-based GMO pretend meats.

Annnnd, go!

Ok that made me actually laugh out loud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,553 Posts
Mmmmmmm KFC.

Mmmmmmm
:

I eat KFC even with trans fats, all the better now

:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
oooooh! Health food throwdown! Quick, call the vegans and the Nourishing Tradition folks for the rumble!

Rules: No knives, razors, sprouted fermented grains, salmonella infested raw eggs, or soy-based GMO pretend meats.

Annnnd, go!

not fair! you're going to make me wake the baby with my snortling!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
oooooh! Health food throwdown! Quick, call the vegans and the Nourishing Tradition folks for the rumble!

Rules: No knives, razors, sprouted fermented grains, salmonella infested raw eggs, or soy-based GMO pretend meats.

Annnnd, go!

I LOL'D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
This reminds me, I just rented and watched "The Future of Food" on Amazon. Basically, all about evil Monsanto and their genetically modified canola oil. Very upsetting.

When I make biscuits (which is rare... and trust me, they're no where near as good as KFCs), I use heart-healthy bisquick and low-fat sour cream. Very yummy. Or a bit of milk, garlic, and cheddar cheese.
Isn't bisquick just flour, sugar, and hydrogenated oils?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyBird View Post
Isn't bisquick just flour, sugar, and hydrogenated oils?



Quote:
Bisquick Heart Smart™ offers a delicious new way to be good to your heart! Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease. Bisquick Heart Smart™ mix is low in fat, low in saturated fat, and naturally cholesterol free to help keep your heart healthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
She's talking about the new HeartSmart Bisquick, it's much better than the normal stuff. I looked at a box and I don't *think* it has trans fats, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,705 Posts
http://www.generalmills.com/corporat...aspx?catID=51#

OK, so it looks like this particular Bisquick product contains bleached enriched flour, canola oil, sugar, and chemicals.

Hardly what I'd consider to be health food (and I'm guessing that both the other NTers and the Vegans on MDC would agree with me) but it does seem slightly less toxic than the "regular" Bisquick, and not completely unreasonable to keep in the house for the occasional treat. (Not that I'd buy it, but I won't judge anybody else for buying it. My weakness is the occasional processed deli meat.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyBird View Post
Isn't bisquick just flour, sugar, and hydrogenated oils?
They have a new version which is no trans-fats. It's the illusion of heart-healthy. (Heart-Healthy is part of the Brand name, I believe...oops, no, it's called "Heart-Smart Bisquick"... whatever):
http://www.brandnewyou.com/FeaturedB...uickPromo.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
http://www.generalmills.com/corporat...aspx?catID=51#

OK, so it looks like this particular Bisquick product contains bleached enriched flour, canola oil, sugar, and chemicals.

Hardly what I'd consider to be health food (and I'm guessing that both the other NTers and the Vegans on MDC would agree with me) but it does seem slightly less toxic than the "regular" Bisquick, and not completely unreasonable to keep in the house for the occasional treat. (Not that I'd buy it, but I won't judge anybody else for buying it. My weakness is the occasional processed deli meat.)
What is toxic about it?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top