Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ketchup is a vegetable in our house
i have always kept it in the fridge once opened, mind you i am slightly wacky about food being left out for too long (drives my dh batty)
My 11 yr old was at his friends house and after dinner the ketchup was still on the table, so being the complete opposite of the way he is at home he chose to be helpful and put it in the fridge, his friend said who puts ketchup in the fridge???

Not that this is a mindblowing life altering question but i am curious am i the only wacky one that puts ketchup in the fridge?

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
It goes in the fridge in our house, too. I'm pretty sure the bottle says to do so.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
We never refrigerated it when I was growing up, but we do now. I think a lot depends on how much you use it. We don't use it often at all, so a bottle lasts us a long time. I've not refrigerated it before and after a while it gets more vinegary tasting.

My dad eats tons of ketchup, so their bottles never get a chance to go "bad", so there really isn't a need to refrigerate it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Straight to the fridge it goes here. It says on the bottle refridgerate after opening.

I'm pretty neurotic about things left out that shouldn't be and expiry dates and food going bad. My mom thinks I'm a little
:

MY BIL has a friend who's family doesn't put mayonnaise in the fridge after opening. He says it's nasty and green and they STILL eat it. :puke

·
Registered
807 Posts
It goes in the fridge here, although I *never, ever* eat ketchup. Yuck!!

Some people amaze me with their complete lack of regard for food safety.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by northern_sunshine
Straight to the fridge it goes here. It says on the bottle refridgerate after opening.

I'm pretty neurotic about things left out that shouldn't be and expiry dates and food going bad. My mom thinks I'm a little
:

MY BIL has a friend who's family doesn't put mayonnaise in the fridge after opening. He says it's nasty and green and they STILL eat it. :puke
ewwwwww!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Never in the fridge, and actually it doesn't say too. To be fair I was a ketchup in the fridge gal for years until I met dp and he protested wildly. I've read almost every brand and none say to refrigerate. We've haven't died yet. At a restaraunt it is never refrigerated by the way.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
went to the source: Heinz ketchup site
"Should ketchup be refrigerated?

Because it is a very acidic product, ketchup does not spoil easily. Once opened, in order to maintain the product's quality more effectively, we do suggest that ketchup (and any other processed food) be refrigerated after opening because refrigeration retards spoilage."

Probably just covering their butts in case someone got ill from it.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Del Monte Quality Ketchup
on the paper neck band "refrigerate after opening"

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetfeet
Always in the fridge, warm ketchup is nasty.
That's funny, I hate it cold. But I keep it in the fridge anyway because I thought you were supposed to. I never thought about the restaurant thing!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I absolutely keep ketchup in the fridge! And mustard, and relish, and soy sauce, and vinegar, and jam/jelly, and salad dressing and mayo of course! After opening, it goes in the fridge! The only things I don't refrigerate after opening are honey and peanut butter.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Always in the fridge.

I put my open peanut butter in there too.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I refrigerate peanut butter too. I buy one organic brand all the time, and it says to refrigerate because the natural oils and lack of preservatives can make it go rancid.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts