Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My husband has had high levels of ketones in his blood. Everything else from his lab results were okay. His Doctor requested the labs when DH reported that his breath smelled of alcohol, even though he hadn't drank any. More recently he's felt very tired and has had a hard time focusing. He has an appointment with our family doctor tomorrow morning.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know ketoacidosis can be severe. I understand this is usually a complication of diabetes, which DH doesn't have. Everything except his ketones were fine both times (in the last week) that his labs were done.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We eat a largely vegetarian diet. We've recently been drinking organic soy milk instead of cow's milk, but we do have eggs and cheese. DH also eats meat on occasion. The grains we typically consume are whole grains (not a lot of white flour, etc.). We haven't been eating as healthy lately, but are immediately changing that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have experience with this condition? I'm very worried.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks in advance.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
<p> They ruled out diabetes if I'm reading right? His blood sugar is normal? Liver function normal as well?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can tell you what I know from my son who spill heavy ketones without diabetes. First, on the diet--if a diet doesn't have adequate carbs for an energy source it can cause ketosis, yes. Heavy fat and/or protein with low carb will do that. It sounds as if he's getting plenty of carbs though?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Was this a fasting blood draw? Because some people will go high ketones with a simple overnight fast. Ketones are a normal, protective response to fasting as the body burns fat without carb sources for energy (glucose). Blood sugar in those cases would be low or perhaps normalish. It could be just that and in that case this isn't dangerous--it's normal.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My son has a metabolic condition affecting his mitochondrial function. Fatigue was the first thing we noticed and some metabolic things can have adult onset so I wanted to mention it. Generally, though, there would be other signs. I'll link information in case it fits anything for your husband. I'm happy to answer questions if you do have them. Metabolic conditions often have treatment of some sort. <a href="http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/734501/mitochondrial-disorder-information-and-video">http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/734501/mitochondrial-disorder-information-and-video</a></p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts