Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone else has had this experience and can put my mind at ease. I am breastfeeding my 7 month old exclusively (well, except for 1 teaspoon of yams a night which usually ends up all over her face). I started the WW core plan a month ago and have lost 10 pounds evenly over four weeks. I am not hungry, I eats tons of carbs, but really only get about a tablespoon of fat (oilve oil) per day plus about 4 eggs a week.<br><br>
Today I noticed a sweet taste in my mouth when I wasn't eating and I hadn't had anything sweet. I went online and it sounds like ketosis meaning my body is dipping into fat stores for energy. I am torn. Very happy that I am burning, but concerned about my baby. Is this safe for her? I have tons of milk and she is always satisfied, but do the ketones pass? What should I do?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Hi Leafwood,<br>
If you are eating tons of carbs I don't think you can be in ketosis. Your body shifts into ketosis when you aren't consuming enough carbs for it to run the usual way and then it switches over to burning your stored fat for energy. Most people need to reduce their carb intake dramatically to accomplish the switch (around 20 grams of carbs per day, which considering the RDA is something like 384 gm/day it isn't something you just do by accident).<br>
In any case, I wouldn't worry about it. Ketones aren't anything to worry about (that I know of anyway) I bf'd dd at 9 months while I was in ketosis for about 3-4 weeks and I'm sure it didn't make any difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts