Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm at 38 weeks and 2 days, and given my age I'm not going to be allowed much past my due date, so I'm trying to figure out my options. i'm currently 60% effaced, soft, closed and posterior, and have been that way for at least 2 weeks. Here's my question: can they use a foley catheter if you are closed? Or do you have to be open somewhat? I know they can't stretch and sweep without some opening, but I was thinking that the foley might be able to be inserted even in a closed cervix. Any experience out there? I'd like to avoid pit if I can, and I definitely want to avoid a c/s if I can, so i'm just trying to see what's a possibility.

Thanks!

anne

·
Registered
640 Posts
What does age have to do with your birth? I keep hearing this from people but haven't heard any reasoning behind it.

You're only 38 weeks. inductions don't work well on bodies not already primed a bit and your description does not indicate that you're ready for labor. have you considered taking EPO? doing any nipple stim? or having lots of sex? those things will help get you ready and you can ask your CP about whether they are appropriate for you. My last ob was a huge proponent of good sex & nipple stim near the end of pregnancy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for the answer. I'd read conflicting info on this procedure on this site. Disappointing, though.

FWIW I am indeed taking EPO, and doing pretty much everything I can (acupuncture, chiro, etc.) to encourage my little one to come in the next 11 days or so. (they wouldn't suggest induction prior to 40 weeks, though, never fear.) I'm not thrilled about the induction idea, but I think it makes sense to be ready for all possibilities and to be as well informed as possible so that I have something to answer to them if the backup ob starts pressuring me to do a c/s. I am choosing not to see this as an adversarial relationship: I know that the midwives are rooting for me to do a VBAC, and they're doing everything they can to help me achieve that within the parameters they must work. I also know that I need to stick up for what I believe, and use my intuition to guide me as well.

(oh, and as far as the reasoning for the 40 week deadline, it's based on some recent studies that showed an increase in stillbirths for women over 40 if they are over their due date. I know perfectly well that I am not a statistic, but that's the reasoning.)

Anne

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I had a Foley induction with a closed cervix.

Mine was because of preeclampsia. I was completely unfavorable for any sort of induction but I was scared to death of "ripening" with Cytotec so my OB used the Foley.

Worked well.

Dilated me to 3cm and then the Pitocin kicked in and did the rest, vaginally.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzomama View Post
(oh, and as far as the reasoning for the 40 week deadline, it's based on some recent studies that showed an increase in stillbirths for women over 40 if they are over their due date. I know perfectly well that I am not a statistic, but that's the reasoning.)

Anne
Thank you. I hadn't heard that yet. I'd only heard women tell me their OBs wouldn't let them go past the edd b/c of their age and then couldn't tell me why their OBs were telling them that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
SparklingGemini, how long did the insertion take? Did they do anything to prep you?
It was nearly two years ago now...let me think.

Insertion took about thirty minutes maybe? My OB checked with her fingers to see if I was dilated after she had a nurse check an hour or so before.

I wasn't, so she kind of had to work it in.

I think she might have swabbed me with something but that was the only prep.

It wasn't comfortable at all. Pretty painful and crampy! And the tubing taped to the inside of my leg was annoying as heck.

But I only had to have the tension tightened once before I dilated enough for the bulb to fall out. All in all, I think it was about 2-3 hours? Pretty easy peasy compared to the rest.

I'm glad I did the Foley induction because, as I said, I was fearful of Cytotec and I would absolutely recommend this method to anyone needing an induction for (true)medical reasons. But overall, it was a horrendous birthing experience. I think being on hospital bedrest for several weeks and having an extremely medicalized intervening birth took its toll.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzomama View Post

Anne
Have they mentioned using fetal kick charts as a way of determining fetal well-being? they are non-invasive, and can be done at home, and are easily understood by most women, without the side effects of an induced labor on a previous scar....PS, I wonder about that studies, what criteria were used, and whether the labors were induced or not. Induction raises the chance that other problems may occur.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Well, at least I know it is a possibility on a closed cervix, albeit an uncomfortable one. I have since found another website that said they used a speculum and ring forceps to get a foley into a closed or fingertip cervix, if that helps, nashvillemama

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/foley.html

My baby is kicking ok, I haven't done regular kick charts, but it's probably a good idea to start doing them more systematically. I'm doing weekly NSTs and BPPs, which they will probably up to every couple of days or more if I can convince them to let me go a bit further. My water broke at 5 days past EDD with my first, and my sister always tends to go about 2 weeks over. sigh. But, on the other hand, I'm not my sister, and this is a different baby, so we'll see what he'll help me out with here ! :) I'm trying to convince him that a little bit earlier is nice -- he'll have so much more room out here! and mama milk tastes better than amniotic fluid, I have to think!

I did find one study on the over 40 moms that seems to have controlled for induction/chromosomal issues/gestational diabetes/preeclampsia, etc. but it seemed a smallish study, and I must admit that I didn't look at it as closely as I should have. I'm not sure which study this doctor was quoting.

anne

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny, that you had already contributed to that page.

well, since you've asked :) my cervix has opened up recently, and I'm more effaced, so it looks like the Foley won't be necessary after all. Still not in labor, but lots of prelabor twinges. We'll see what develops over the next week...
Anne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.