Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a vegetarian or vegan recipe book (if vegetarian, preferably one that doesn't incorporate much dairy) that caters to kids' tastes?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Look on amazon.com I know there are several, I just can't think of their names.

post this question on the veg mamma's thread in Finding your Tribe. There have already been several suggestions for kids cookbooks.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
We really like Pretend Soup (preschool age) and Honest Pretzels (school age) by Molly Katzen. They are both ovo lacto and extremely well written for children. My kids can make dinner for me now without additional help thanks to our work with these cookbooks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
"Healthy Cooking for Kids" by Shelly Null. It's specifically for kids and is vegan tho one could incorporate dairy into the recipes. The recipes are tasty enough for adults too. She's also a nutritionist and has some helpful info in the first couple of chapters. I imagine you could get this on amazon.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!

Ds is so picky... I'm really hoping that getting him involved in the process will make him more excited about eating healthy things. I'm going to pick one or two and get started!

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
HOw it all Vegan is a great vegan cook book. not only do they have great recipies. they have a kids section full of Fun vegan food and a section on vegan house cleaning products that owrk great. its an easy book to find and has fun pictures. i use it daily and highly recomend it. also check out your library. look up vegan cook books..you may find some that you love.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I was going to recommend How It All Vegan. But she got there first.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family and Laurels Kitchen are a couple of our favorites.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My votes are for "Pretend Soup" and "Honest PRetzels" as well. One of my daughters is a born baker; she cooks something from "Honest Pretzels" every week. Today it was fresh cinnamon buns, completely from scratch. They were vegan and soooo yummy! Each step of the directions is written out clearly in language they'll understand, there are illustrations when helpful, and they're just all-around good books for kids.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
my oldest is 8--he loves the Kids Can Press Jumbo Vegetarian Cookbook
http://www.kidscanpress.com/kidscanp...KCP/f_home.htm

it has a ton of recipes that kids will love to eat and can make on their own
It clearly marks recipies as easy, intermediate, and hard.
ds is able to do all but the hardest on his own, although I hover endlessly when he is using the stove.

we actually all use that cookbook a lot. The brownies page is just at that wonderful point where you don't have to hunt for it anymore--the book just opens up to it.

Oh yeah--the cookbook also marks the vegan recipes...and even the regular veggie ones are typically easy to modify to vegan (as are most things once you do it enough...)

hth, although it sounds like you are looking for something for a younger child maybe...

still a good book though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts