Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is currently 3. He has a tentative diagnosis of SPD, sensory seeking mostly. We've been dealing with a lot of troubles with him at his preschool/daycare setting. But with some counseling and training for his teachers things are turning around. I am also seeking an OT to work with DS.<br><br>
I am currently 10 weeks preggo. DH and I planned to have our kiddos about 4 years apart and DS will be just shy of his forth birthday when the baby arrives next summer. Unfortunately, this pregnancy has had a lot of complications and I've been on bedrest for a while now. Consequently, I have not had the time or energy to pursue the referral I need to get DS to an OT.<br><br>
I don't really have any specific questions at this moment, but I am feeling overwhelmed and a little worried about how DS will deal with a younger sibling. He is very spirited and physical. He also get's violent (scratching and hitting) when he becomes overly stimulated. At the same time, he is incredible gentle and sweet sometimes. He loves babies and get's excited when I tell him about his new sibling.<br><br>
I guess I'm just looking for stories that other mama's or papa's can share about their experience having more kiddos when their first born has SPD. How do you help them cope with the changes and transition of having a new baby in the house? Strategies anyone? TIA!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Okay, ine are 19 months apart, and ODS had no understanding about getting a baby brother. My YDS happened to have reflux and screamed alot which triggered ODS's auditory sesnitivities. At that point, I didn't know ODS had SPD. For me, the biggest issues are keeping ODS safe while I nurse. He is 2 and constantly climbing, crashing, and bouncing while I am busy with YDS AND keeping YDS safe while ODS tries to tickle him or engage in physical play.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think it definetly depends on the kids and the situation but my dd with SPD was just over 3 when when ds was born and her behavior changed for the better. She suddenly had a focus and helped with the baby, held him and became very patient about waiting until I was done nursing before I could do x,y.z with her. DS is a very laid back baby so that helps but he has truly been a balance to our house for everyone.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
DS is 2.5 and dd was born two weeks before he turned two. He had a LOT of anger when she nursed and would often scratch her has hard as he could. We unweaned and that really helped his attitude towards her, but it was really hard on me physically to tandem nurse, so I only kept that up for five months... but now he really loves her a lot. He's a sensory seeker as well and often aggressive. It's rare now when he hurts her on purpose. Now it's more likely that he'll run into her when she's playing on the floor etc. Or he hugs her too hard.<br><br>
He gets pretty upset when she cries. The first months were hard with that because she was colicky.<br><br>
I think the hardest thing for me is that DS needs so much attention that I don't give dd as much attention as I'd like. And then when I am focusing on her he generally sneaks off and climbs on some furniture or something, so nursing can be hard sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts