Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age does a child no longer need a carseat to fly safely?<br><br>
My mom is going to take my kiddos to Disney World. This is awesome. I'm not going, so I have to decide on what to tell my mom and then work on convincing her it's necessary, so I need to start now, even though it's two months before they go.<br><br>
The kids will be 6, 4, and 4. Do grade-school kids take boosters on planes? I'm thinking not, because it's a lapbelt. But what about the preschoolers? They're in forward-facing Radians in the car. Should they be bringing the Radians on the plane? Or are they old enough to just ride in the plane's lap belts?

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
<p> </p>
<p>Boosters cannot be used on the plane, you are correct.  I'd be perfectly fine with a 6yo in the lap belt.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm fine with a 4yo in the lap belt on the plane unless it's a super tiny 4yo.  The official line from the airlines is 40lbs, but they don't have a rule that you have to have one before that.  That being said, if your 4yo will need a car seat on the other end, I would take the radian on so it doesn't have to be checked.  If no car seat is needed at your destination, I wouldn't bring it.</p>

·
Registered
457 Posts
<p>ITA with Dahlia. Sure, the car seats are <em>always</em> safer on the plane but air travel is so safe that the difference, to me, wouldn't justify bringing them <em>only</em> for the flight. Especially since it's your mom who's doing this... </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have brought our Radian on for a then-5 year old, only because we needed the seat at our destination and this meant I didn't have to check it. Never check car seats as luggage. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The deciding factor is whether they'll need the seats in Florida. If not, check the CARES harness for the flight but I think your little one is too big. If not, you could rent one on Ebay or Craigslist. </p>

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry-- I don't know what's a CARES harness. Is this something I need to get?<br><br>
The preschoolers are not tiny-- they're both somewhere between 37 and 39 pounds, I think. They're not actually four yet-- they will be just a week before the trip, though.<br><br>
They won't need the Radians on the other end-- they're not even going to rent a car-- they're staying in the park, and they'll ride buses and the monorail.<br><br>
This is two Radians we're talking about. Somehow I can't imagine my mother lugging two Radians around. She'd do it, if I insisted, but she's not going to like it. My stepdad is going, but he's disabled, so he can't help carry them either.<br><br>
So I'm guessing maybe we'll skip them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
<p>I would skip them.  Especially having to deal with them at the Orlando airport, etc.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The CARES harness has a loop that slips over the back of the seat to create a harness for smaller children in airport seats.  They are fairly pricey if you don't plan to use them that much.</p>

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
<p>I wouldn't freak out about a 4 year old in just the belt on the plane, but what are they going to do for seats on the other end?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: NM, I see that's covered.  </p>

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
<p>With kids nearly 40lbs, I would not waste my money on CARES.  It only goes to 42 or 44lbs anyways. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope they have a great trip!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts