Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have also been INSANE!

I could have written your exact post...btdt...

My advice to you is to take the Rescue Remedy yourself!!!! It helped me a lot!

Yes, flouride kills the bacteria
Not so sure about the second answer...
I have always heard that cheese in general is good. I am not sure about the specifics...
To make the environment inhospitable to s.mutans?....BRUSH, BRUSH, BRUSH

Well, there are always going to be a certain number of s.mutans in the mouth. Brushing after meals and snacks is the best way. In fact, Smilemomma says brushing after anything other than water passes the lips will significantly reduce the bacteria. Sozebe has been able to do this. I have tried, but am not as successful, although we do brush often and are very food conscious. Other foods that help are grapes, apples, whole grains, nuts and nut butters, and tannins too.
Have you checked out my favorite thread
Remineralization and diet for healthy teeth?
Keep in mind that with 4 decayed teeth, the s.mutans are at high numbers right now. And as soon as those caps are on, the "cavity bugs" are going to move on to other teeth!
So brushing is super important! If you are using basic flouride toothpaste, once in the morning and once at night is plenty and at all other times use a non-flouride paste. Otherwise, he is going to be ingesting too much. And less than pea size amount on the brush. I put a dab on the brush and spread it evenly with my finger and then do a quick round to coat all the teeth, then I brush for 2 minutes. Then dd rinses, swishes, and spits 2 times.
When is your appointment? Are you doing all four at once?
Hang in there and keep breathing! With a mama (and papa) like you looking after him, he's going to do just great! You WILL get thru it!
A suggestion from another mama here was to take along a special blanket or soft toy for your child to hold. So at our last appointment, dd took her blanket and she wrapped herself in it and then held my hands to her chest. She did really well.
Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
OK, here goes some of the answers...

Tannins are found in black tea, wine, and ......so obviously not those for the kids...I'd have to do some research there...
Carbs....Well, I think it's the difference between say, oatmeal and brown rice and crackers and flour bread.
If you are already in there with the flouride on the brush and doing all the smooth surfaces, I don't see why one would then apply something else to the other surfaces kwim?
I have read that one should brush within 20 minutes after eating. And remember flouride remineralizes and strengthens.
I try to remember to ask my dd to "swish" with water after eating, especially when we are out. So yeah, that's a good idea no matter what....
More answers anybody?????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.