Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were, say, thinking of splitting with dh. I want to move with my kiddos to a new place, somewhere we've never been with a decently low cost of living, and he will pay a reasonable amount of child support, what kind of $$ should I have stashed to set us up? I will have to return to work, which I am fine with, but I'd like to take several weeks or even a couple of months to get us set up in a rental, find a decent daycare and school, etc. So, under the circumstances, I am trying to figure out how much $$ I should have put aside for this adventure. I have sold most of what I can and stashed the $$. There's a few things left, but not much and I really don't want to sell the big money item as it is his and if I do, it will cause more anger than the money is worth. I'd rather have a good, open line of communication with him, kwim?

So, suggestions? Ideas? Estimates?

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
I think it depends on where you are moving to. You'd need a lot more money in Boston than say, Kansas. If you can get a good idea about how much rent, etc. will be then you can estimate how much you'll need. At least first, last and security deposit, Maybe a few more months as a cushion, plus a few hundred a month for food, utilities, etc.

You might also check over in Single Parenting, as posters there might have been through this before.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I would have to say you would need 2-3 months rent, whatever deposit you expect, 2 months worth of your monthly payments (car, student loans, utilities, etc), plus 1 month for groceries and medical expences. Will you qualify for any state aid? If you have any stufents loans have you seen if you can deffer any of them?

I say this because it could possibly take you awhile to find a job and get settled. And once that job starts many times you won't get a paycheck for another 2 weeks and it may be for only one week of pay.

That all being said I like to be super prpared when it comes to money I hate the feeling of being really really crunched. If worse comes to worse get a credit card and make up the difference with that if you really need to get out. You can maybe find one of those really low intrest ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts