Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds goes to a Montessori school and his class has kids of ages 2-6 years old. The Montessori system and the school advise to keep the kid in this system until the kid is 6 years old so that the kid can get the complete benefit of being in this system. In the final year, they get the opportunity to exhibit their leadership and nurturing skills when they can guide and help the younger ones and this helps them build their self-confidence and self-esteem. What i see though is that the number of parents who actually do this is very small. Many withdraw the kids from the school when they are ready to start K in a public school (i.e when the kid turns 5). Some parents have told me that they are not sure that the Montessori system is rigorous(in an academic sense and i think they mean pushing the kids) enough for a 5 year old and some are apprehensive about how their kids will adjust to being put in 1st grade to start with in the public school system.

I would like opinions from all of you if you have had some experience or have observed anything regarding this point.

I am currently inclined to give my son the chance to finish his years in this school (and may even consider going Montessori for 1st grade if i find a good school) but i have to clear some issues in my mind so that i can feel comfortable with my decision. That is why i am looking for any experiential sharing here.

Peace & Love!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most parents take their children out of Montessori at the kindergarten level because they want to take advantage of the free kindergarten from their local public school.

My children attend a Montessori charter school. They have been in Montessori since the age of three. They are now 8 and 10.

The kindergarten year in Montessori is far superior, in my opinion, than any other kindergarten program available, public or private.

Academicly, Montessori is top of the list. Both my children excell at school, and I believe it is not just the Montessori program itself, but the philosophy behind it.

I could go on and on, but if you can, you should, without a doubt, keep your child in Montessori for kindergarten.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree - keep your child in kindergarten at Montessori! While your son will not be bringing home worksheets everyday (so many people feel like this is the mark of an 'academic' program!), he will be gaining great academic skills through his work in Montessori. I think Montessori is every bit as rigorous, if not more so, than most kindergarten programs; it just looks different because kids are not sitting in desks and doing pencil and paper work all morning. But Montessori kids are exposed to concepts beyond the regular k curriculum. I fully agree with their philosophy of culminating the 3-6 curriculum and gaining leadership, nurturing, new mastery of skills, etc. I think a lot of people leave during the K year for the free alternative, and many who leave also feel some insecurity, like they have to get their child into the "system" in order to make sure he/she will be okay there. Your son will be better prepared for the "system" after completing the Montessori program.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mommy22 and Kristi,

i am so happy to see your words of assurance and encouragement. I do respect and love the Montessori program and the teachers in his class. i do not have many peers IRL who have made this decision. So your taking the time to write to me is appreciated so much. I will also use these inputs from you when i discuss this topic with my dh.

Peace & Love!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I would not let the academics in a montessori school concern me (if I wanted tough academics).

Around here, in fact, if parents can afford it they keep their kids in Montessori Kinder in hopes they will be advanced enough for the gifted program in 1st grade (a whole nother can of worms).

Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I worked in a Montessori School for 2 years in the 3-6 classroom (which ends with the Kindergarten year).

First of all - ALL Montessori schools are different, so just because I liked mine, doesn't mean that it will be the same as the one you now attend. The Montessori name is in the public domain so that means that ANYONE can use the name for their school, even if it has nothing to do with Montessori.

Okay, here's my opinion of the kindergarten year. It is wonderful. It is the culmination of the previous years in the classroom. If they start out as the youngest in the room, they make a full cycle through the Kind. year. Our Kindergartners had many more responsibilities than the younger students. They are in a way, the teachers to the younger students. And how do we learn the best? - when we teach someone else how to do something. As a teacher - I can vouch for that. I learned so much more when I taught than when I was in school. I would highly reccomend sending children THROUGH the Kindergarten year. I think it is highly beneficial for them.

I also think that many parents send their children to public schools for their kindergarten year because of the monetary issues. I think they miss out on what is offered through the Montessori school system. Is it rigorous enough? For a kindergartner? I would hope so. Most kids are way ahead of their peers after attending Montessori schools and I would think that the question would be more - if they would be bored in 1st grade, not if they would be ready for 1st grade!

Anyway, these are all my opinions of the ONE Montessori school that I worked at. I hope you are able to make a decision that you feel good about.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the opinions i have received so far are very positive and it
reassures me that my inner feeling to stick to the Montessori
system is the right one. Thanks for all the valuable inputs.

One of the teachers in the classroom has a son who completed
Kindergarten in Montessori and then went to a public school for
1st grade. She mentioned that the 1st grade curriculum was not
challenging enough for her son and they were lucky to have had a
teacher who observed her son and gave him work from higher grades
(esp, Math) so that he did not get bored.

Peace & Love!

·
Registered
564 Posts
curious to know if your ds goes part time or full time for kindergarten.

We have to decide this week whether to put Kaya in tehe 8:30-12:30pm program or the 8:30-3:00pm one...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had both my sons in full time kindergarten. It turned out to be their favorite year at school, and as far as Montessori is concerned, it's considered one of the most important years. It was during this time that I saw the kids blossom and really begin to come into themselves. To this day, I often stop in on the kindergarten class, even though I don't have children in there any longer. I just love the whole atmosphere in that classroom!

I guess I'm trying to say that my advice would be for full time kindergarten.

Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi kaya's mama

i think my reply may be late. i did not visit this board for a few days.

my ds will be in his pre-k year in this montessori class in Sep 04. he
will start kindergarten only in 2005 fall. (he will be in the same
class though as it is mixed age). he goes 9-3 pm(considered school day).

Peace & Love!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts