Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hello-</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm Meagan, mama to my almost four year old Dd who we have been doing preschool at home with this past year.  I didn't anticipate how fast Dd would gobble up all the information we have been giving her and with a lot of discussion we have decided to go ahead and start kindergarten with her next fall.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had originally planned that most (if not all) of her learning would be through play until at least first grade, but we bought her the Horizons pre-k workbook last year and she has fallen in love with it.  She asks to do <em>real</em> school work all the time now and it all I can do to get her to want to stop.  Last semester we focused on recognizing her letters and the sounds the letters make, and she has that down.  This semester we are working through the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and we are about to order Handwriting Without Tears-Get Set for School.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think next year she would really benefit from a curriculum but I am so overwhelmed by the options out there!  My grandmother bought her the kindergarten-2nd grade Hooked on Phonics so I will probably use that for reading, and as long as she likes HWoT we will probably use that for writing.  I have heard great things for Horizons math, but I have also talked to people who didn't like it at all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My question is, is there anyone else out there whose kindergartener did better with a curriculum setting?  What curriculums worked best for you?  What do your recommend?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Try this thread for some ideas:<br>
<a href="http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1340974/kindy-recommendations#post_16821983">http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1340974/kindy-recommendations#post_16821983</a><br>

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
77 Posts
<p>Hi Meagan!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My youngest just turned 5 and is doing kindergarten this year.  I used the 100 Easy Lessons Book with all of my kids with great success.  My littlest finished the book about 4 months ago and is a fluent reader.  I've found All About Spelling to be a SUPERB follow up program to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.  It's the only thing I use for phonics instruction anymore.  As far as reading, we just use lots of library books and other books.  For math, I switched all our children to Saxon about 4 years ago and haven't looked back!  Lily (my newly turned 5yo) is doing Saxon 1 with no troubles. I've had 3 other children who used Saxon 1 in Kindergarten and they've all been successful with it.  BTW, I did use Horizons for my oldest child in Kindergarten and I personally prefer Saxon.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope I've been of some help...lol.  So many people like different things, I'm just sharing my favorites! :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts