Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dear friend who lives in the same state that I do, GA, and would like some info about how to proceed with a potential kinship foster/adoption...

Her sister lives in FL and has a 5 year old son. She is a single Mom and using drugs, not working, doing some questionable things for money, and suffers from some mental illness. The Dad is not a stable or safe person and would not make a suitable caregiver.

The Mom is not aware that she has an issue, she is doing some crazy unsafe things and my friend is really concerned for her nephew. Ideally she would like her sister to get help, clean herself up and be a parent, but in the meantime wants her nephew to be safe and secure.

Is there anything she can do to get temporary custody of him? Her sister will relinquish custody willingly. How does this work?

Thanks for all of your help,

Sarah

·
Registered
788 Posts
She really needs to contact a local lawyer, this type of thing can get complicated and she needs to be sure it's done exactly by the book. I don't know the GA laws, but guardianship may be an option.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.