Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just now gone back to Kissaluvs which I love so very much. I was reading the tag that said no bleach. Now when I used them before my dd was ebf so the poopie and tee tee was not what it is now. I have been using prefolds and have been having to bleach them to get them really clean, otherwise they smell. Has anyone here bleached Kissaluvs ocassionally with no negative effects? Will this hurt the fabric or the elastic if I use about 2 Tablespoons about every 3rd or 4th washing?

TIA!!
Susie ~

·
Registered
454 Posts
Any reputable CD retailer will tell you that bleach is a bad thing for your dipes. Bleach will break down the fibers, causing the dipes to wear faster. Also, bleach is incredibly toxic.

I would try adding baking soda or borax to your wash cycle and tossing a Downy ball of scented vinegar for the rinse cycle. Laying the diapers in the sun will take care of the stains and most of the smells, too. If you are having bad stink problems, perhaps you are using too much detergent and are having build up issues. Ditch the bleach and try stripping the diapers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here is info from Karen's cloth diapering website (http://diaperpages.com/detergent.php):

Here's my recommendation to you. Start by washing your dipes in whatever detergent you've been using so far. Just use a lot less than you normally would. Try doing a cold soak and prewash with a ¼ capful, then a hot wash with another ¼ capful. If that works, stick with it. If you have problems with lingering odors, or persistent rashes, then you can try switching to a "free and clear" detergent, adding baking soda to the cold soak, and/or adding vinegar to the final rinse. Just don't use bleach (it wears your diapers down much faster), and skip the fabric softener (it can coat your diapers, leaving them less absorbant).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ok, that is about "stripping" diapers because of residue. Sadly, baking soda, vinegar etc do not kill bacteria that may be in your dipes.

Kissaluvs are really thick. I have dried them on a full cycle of "hot" then another 40 mins of "hot" and they were STILL damp at the end.

If there is ANY dampness left in the dipes, bacteria will grow.

Bleach in of itself is not "bad" if properly diluted in water and rinsed liberally. And I have read many sources which say "never" to use any "free and clear" products on your dipes.

I put 1/8th of a cup of bleach into a full load of diapers. I wash on whitest whites which has a double rinse built into the wash. I also do a seperate rinse and spin, and another whitest whites wash with nothing added.

I don't bleach them everytime I wash them either.

A "reputable" diaper retailer recommended small amounts of bleach on occasion was fine.

I have tried every combination of vinegar, baking soda, oxo-brite and none of them removed the smell from my dipes. This combination did.

Proper and complete rinsing will prevent any issues with toxicity and diaper breakdown.

Do not EVER *soak* diapers in bleach, whether diluted or not. That WILL break down the fabric and notions in your dipes.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ladies!

Thank you for your responces. Crunchymomma, (I hope I get your handles right) I have tried EVERY single thing you mentioned in your post, so these are not the issues, but thanks just the same.

SoggyGranolaMomma, I have used a wash cycle much like the one you use: cold soak with nothing, hot wash with Tide, Baking soda, vinegar in the fabric softner cup and bleach in the dispenser, cold rinse, second cold rinse. I think I am missing the second wash that you have been doing. Landsakes! It takes me forever to wash dipes as it is! Well, we do what we must do.
The dipes that have been holding in the smell )unless I bleach) are the prefolds and they have been being fully dry after coming out of the dryer. These Kissaluvs are brand new and I am just wanting to prevent a smelly situation.
I am glad to know that I can use bleach in small amounts on occassion.

Bummis also say not to bleach, but I didn't know that till after I had been bleaching for months. Thankfully my bummis still look great!

Thanks so much for the responces!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
One more tip, I have also heard not to use baking soda and vinegar together because they cancel each other out.

So use baking soda in your soak, then rinse with nothing, wash with tide and in the final rinse put vinegar (my machine automatically does another rinse, if youre doesn't then add that to the end). If you add bleach to the mix, run another full wash (hot water, double rinse) with nothing.

Good luck!!!

I think in the last 2 days I have literally washed, soaked or rinsed one load of diapers, 15 times trying to get them fresh. My combo finally worked!! !

·
Registered
885 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
Ok, that is about "stripping" diapers because of residue. Sadly, baking soda, vinegar etc do not kill bacteria that may be in your dipes.
FYI - Tea tree oil added to the wash cycle will kill the bacteria.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been very tempted to add a bit of bleach to my dipes occasionally to get rid of odor but was only going to do so on the microterry inserts. Do you use bleach on covers made of PUL? I have some Bum-ware and Very Baby AIO's that I'd like to "de-stink" but am afraid bleach may ruin the PUL....or do you think it would be o.k.? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*******00, I have used bleach with Bummis PUL covers but they are so much more durrible than say FB type of PUL. I really don't know what kind of PUL is used for Bumware and VB, so I don't know what to tell you, except that if it is like FB then I would be very leary about using bleach with it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
One more tip, I have also heard not to use baking soda and vinegar together because they cancel each other out.
I was thinking that by putting the vinegar in the fabric softner dispenser then it would be released later in the wash after the main wash has run with the baking soda and detergent. Am I wrong? Thanks, everyone, for your help!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Of course baking soda and vinegar will cancel each other out! Baking soda is a base, vinegar is an acid. That's why you put the BS in the washing cycle and use the vinegar in the rinse cycle. That's why I suggested using a Downey ball for the vinegar. Vinegar will also help get rid of excess baking soda and laundry soap in your laundry.

Vinegar *does* in fact kill bacteria, especially when you add tea tree oil to it. That's why so many mamas around here have ditched the chemical cleaners (including bleach) and clean our entire homes with vinegar. You should check out the natural home board - those ladies really know their stuff!
:

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by *******00
I have been very tempted to add a bit of bleach to my dipes occasionally to get rid of odor but was only going to do so on the microterry inserts. Do you use bleach on covers made of PUL? I have some Bum-ware and Very Baby AIO's that I'd like to "de-stink" but am afraid bleach may ruin the PUL....or do you think it would be o.k.? Thank you.
Bleach will do nothing to the PUL, it will destroy the elastic on your bum-wares though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.