Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Can anyone suggest good ideas, websites and information about kitchen composting? I live in a suburb with lots of raccoons and skunks, so I need to do it in a way that won't draw more animals around. I hope to do something simple, like a plastic bin with a lid or something.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know not to add anything animal based, but is there anything else to avoid? Is there anything I need to add to activate it, and to keep it going? I do not have room for a garden, unfortunately, but figure I can add the compost to my flower beds in front of my house.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for any suggestions. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lisa</p>

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
<p>I'd research starting a worm composter - haven't done this myself yet but am planning to get one going this spring and then bring it into my basement next winter.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> As I understand it, you could  basically use a rubbermaid type bin with holes punched in the bottom for drainage, nested in another bin.  add a pound of worms and veggie/fruit scraps and you'd be good to go.</p>

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
<p>"Worms Eat My Garbage" is the classic book on worm composting.  Animal ingredients are not forbidden, they are just tricky, and yes, can attract rats.  But the are not inherently verboten, and add the stuff myself.  Worm bins are the best way to compost these leftovers.   Rotten-meat smelling garbage cans attract pests, too!  Worm bins, when properly maintained, are rarely stinky.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Plain veggie scraps can just be flipped onto your compost pile.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts