Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I just adopted three kittens from my friend's cat who got pregnant unexpectedly. She wasn't spayed and got out so the father's aren't known but the mother is a younger cat who is in good health. The kittens were born healthy and I am about to set up an appt. with the vet so they can get their rabies shots and get dewormed and checked for fleas. Lately, however, I've noticed that they are sneezing a lot and sounding kind of congested when they purr. Maybe it's just me since I've never had pets before, and it might be normal, I just thought it would be worth asking about. I'm not sure if it's anything in particular I should be worried about.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Excessive sneezing really isn't normal, and if you think they sound congested, then I'd go with your gut and bring them into the vet. IME upper respiratory tract infections are quite common and very easily treated.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
URIs in kittens are very common. Most of the time it's viral and you just have to nurse them through it symptomatically. Over the counter phenylephrine nose drops for humans work great for keeping their nasal passages open. To administer, hold the kitten like a baby and drip a drop in each nostril. Hold them for a minute so the drops can flow up their sinuses. Also if their eyes get swollen shut, you can apply it to their eyes to reduce swelling.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! They actually sound a bit better today and dh thinks I'm just imaging some of it but I'm going to take them in just to be on the safe side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts