Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have good survival stories on this combination?

I'm supposed to go look at a litter of rescued kittens next week. Thomas is used to cats (our Sebastian died last week), but a small kitten is a whole other story. I wouldn't say DS is gentle, though he's loving. Is this a bad idea? Is it possible to have a kitten and a young toddler at the same time? Be honest. We live in a 500 sq.ft. home, so it's not like they're going to have a lot of space from each other.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea here personally. Kittens are different...more fragile, more likely to bite and scratch (with razor sharp teeth and claws).

Kittens don't know any better too...an older cat will run and hide if a toddler is overstimulating them. A kitten would be more likely to stay, scratch and bite the toddler...not to mention that a little one could potentially squeeze and harm a little kitten.

I am adopting an older cat next month. In my experience, younger toddlers wouldn't be safe with a younger kitten...an older kitten/young adult (year and up) is most likely a better choice.

I'm sure there are those who might not agree with me...and you know your son. I never let my children handle our cats...when they are allowed to pet them it is supervised only. It's likely that with a young toddler it will be difficult to get them to do that (my son is your son's age too LOL).

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Christy. I think you're probably right... I appreciate the perspective.

I like raising my animals from babies... helps mold good personalities, if you will. But I don't think I'm going to get the opportunity this time.

Hope your new adoptee works out well!

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post
thanks Christy. I think you're probably right... I appreciate the perspective.

I like raising my animals from babies... helps mold good personalities, if you will. But I don't think I'm going to get the opportunity this time.

Hope your new adoptee works out well!

Thanks...only a couple of weeks to go! Personally, I like it the other way around...LOL...adults are less work and you already know their personalities
. I've had both, and kittens are cute...but personally I think I've bonded just as well to both
. Just a thought, do some searches on adopting adult cats.

You know, there is always the "older kitten" thing as well...a 7-12 month old has good size and probably has abandoned some of the kitten behaviors

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
It depends on the kitten. I've had kittens with toddlers and had ZERO issue, but I've also had them be a big problem. If the kitten is the typical high-energy high-reactivity baby, it's generally not a good idea.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Well...my blood pressure spent a good amount of time being way high while Whazzat was a baby with Molly this summer. Whazzat NEVER bit or scratched..but boy he should have!! Also, we're rescue him but he'd come RIGHT back to be tortured, it was stressful for me but I would call Molly a rough toddler. She'd never been rough with our older cat, but with Whazzat she discovered she could pick him up and wanted to hug him all the time....hugging generally meant squeezing the crap out of the poor lil dude. I would in a heartbeat do a kitten 6 mos and up though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts