Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to get a bike - to exercise and to ride around town doing errands. Trouble is, I have problems with knee pain. I saw a sports doctor a few months ago to help relieve the knee pain while ruinning and he thought cycling was out of the question with my knees - just looking for some other thoughts here.

I haven't had a bike in about 15 years - and the one I had then was way too big for me - a hand-me-down from someone who was a foot taller than I was. I rode it all through adolescence but when I was in my 20's the knee pain started, making it difficult to walk for a couple of days after a bike ride. The doctor said it is a tracking problem in both knees - patello-femoral syndrome.

If I could ride a bike pain free I would use it lots - but I don't want to invest any money if it is hopeless.

Any tips or ideas?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Shanti - I too suffer from patello-femoral syndrome, but only on one knee. you can certainly ride a bike pain free, i do it all the time. make sure your seat is at the right height, a good bike shop can help you make the adjustments that you might need. what you think is the right height, may be wrong. you need to be able to move through the pedal stroke with your foot flat without any rocking in your hips.

after riding, stretching is very important. do you have a bike now that you need to make work, or are you thinking about getting one?

·
Banned
312 Posts
It's important that your bike fits, for lots of reasons. Saddle height is important, as is saddle position (fore/aft, tilt). Sometimes a PT with training knows better than a pro bike fitter which accomodations need to be made for particular conditions. Sometimes a PT has ideas that the sports doctor doesn't (the doc can't know everything). Have you sought another opinion, like from an orthopedist?

·
Premium Member
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No bike yet - I am keeping my eye open for one at yard sales. I like the idea of consulting with a PT to adjust it properly.

Thanks for teh encouragement! I live in a great area for cycling and I would make my life so much easier.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've never heard of anyone w/knee problems being dissuaded from biking. Usually, it's the opposite as biking is non weight bearing. I really really recomment you being fitted for a bike at a good bike shop; ie. not a store that happens to carry bikes. You need to know that size frame to buy and how high to put your seat post. Even if you can't buy a new one, this info will help you.

And, keep your tension light; ie. no reason to have to strain w/every revolution.

And, last
make sure you're also pulling up w/your foot to work/strengthen your hamstrings. Your knee needs lots of quad/ham support.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts