Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I like the look of knit, the way the colorways play out, better....but crochet is really dependable and sturdy.

They both have their place
and I love them both for different purposes. If it's a thick enough ply wool, I like knit for both function and beauty, but if it's a lighter wool I'd prefer it to be crochet for more wetness protection, and all those holes mean it's super breathable and a damp diaper starts drying out right away! (as it does with any wool, but still I notice some major evaporation going on with crochet--you can even see through those soakers!)

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Yes yes yes for night crochet is great, and as a pair of shorts in lieu of other clothes. I can't imagine pulling on a pair of pants on top of a crochet soaker, I like snug&trim fitting knitted soakers for that (like a BBB
).... the problem is I have to have a really absorbant diaper underneath (meaning I add a doubler folded in half and placed strategically to prevent the diaper from getting too wet on the outside) or the wool used to knit the soaker needs to be a bulky yarn so that there's enough wool between my son's wet zone of his diaper and the outer pants. Or you can use a wool liner between the fitted and the soaker to make the wet zone much more waterproof via more wool there, but it's kind of hard to pull on a wool soaker onto a squirmy toddler while holding a wool liner against the crotch so it doesn't shift out of position before the soaker is pulled all the way up to hold it into place.

Anyway, I like knitted soakers best for day, but I just have to be wary of expecting them to be uber waterproof under cotton pants for extended periods unless I've taken a few precautions (bulkier wool, major doubler, or wool liner).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Crochet is way more durable. But, I do like the look of knit. And some of the wool soakers I have made out of recycled sweaters that are knit have been some of my favorites. Actually I like that way crochet looks also. I guess I like them both. the only way crochet could win is for durability.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i love them both. I knit and can only barely crochet so i guess i'm extra impressed by crochet

as far as performance, really the performance of any soaker depends on the diaper that goes underneath.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I LOVE my knitted wool for it's stretchy-ness and trimness, but I use a crocheted soaker at night on my toddler. He rarely pees at night, but I know that if he does there is NOTHING getting through that crochet! It's like steel! :LOL

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I like them both. Knitted soakers have a smoother look, while crocheted soakers look chunkier/earthier, but I appreciate both looks. I've used both kinds at night too, and didn't notice a major difference in performance.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I like both. There are differences though. Knit looks nice and orderly, and colorways knit up better than they crochet, ime. But I'm not a master crocheter. But for me to trust wool overnight, it needs to be either crocheted or a thick yarn knit up, otherwise it won't work. I like crocheting because I can actually do it and fit it to ds as I go along. And since it's easier for me to convince dh to buy wool rather than already knit items, most of our wool stash will soon be crochet.

Ds in knit longies, more knit longies.

Crochet shorts, and longies from the front and the back.

Lanna

1 - 18 of 18 Posts