Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH wants to get me a set of needles for Mother's Day
:

I've only been knitting for a couple of months and I have been reading reviews, but I'm still not sure which ones to get. The Denise kit has more needles, but some people seem to be really bothered by the thicker cords. The knit picks doesn't make straight needles, but is that really an issue?

I'm struggling with the decision between the Knit Picks Harmony set and the Denise set. I'm avoiding anything nickel plated because I have a bit of an allergy to nickel in jewelry and I'm not sure if the needles would bother me too.

Which set would you choose and why?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I bought the Denise set first and just recently got the KP nickel plated set. I haven't tried the Harmony tips.

I like metal needles over plastic because they are slicker. I think I've read that the harmony needles are slicker than the plastic, too.

I like the KP sharp points.

I don't mind the thicker Denise cords--they feel nice to me. But I recently learned magic loop and really like it and I couldn't do it well with the thicker cords. It's easy with the KP thinner cords.

I do like how easy it is to change the tips on the Denise set. Just twist and lock. It's kind of a hassle to use the key to switch the KP set. But I still love the KP set.

If I had to get rid of one of my sets, I'd keep the KP set.

There are several older threads about interchangeable needle sets, too--I was searching for them when I was trying to decide if I should get the KP set. They may help you, too!

Deb

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
atobols- are you anywhere near Galloway or Grove City in Ohio? I have the Denise set and a Boye set (which has the screw connection I'm thinking is similar to the Knit Picks, someone correct me if I'm wrong?). Maybe we could meet up at the library so you could see them and try them out? I've been needing to take the kids in for a fine read off anyway, which lasts about an hour on a designated day, and keep putting it off. Seems much easier not to with the lo being 13 months, lol. But our cards have attrocious fines on them.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I'm in between Cleveland and Columbus. That's a thought, I think there is a yarn store in Wooster. Maybe I could go there and see what they have. I might be able to play with them a bit and see what I think. The library also has a knitting night where I might be able to see some. I never even thought about trying to find local knitters and asking their opinion.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just looked at the KP set. See those little end button things in the pic? Those are the pieces I use with my Denise's to make them straight needles, also use them to make the cords stitch holders, very convenient. So they should be able to do straight, circular, and stitch holders too. Anyone have the KP set? Can they do all three?

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked up the local yarn store which I have never been to. It carries the denise needles and she has a free Saturday class once a month. I think I'll have to check out the store this Saturday. Oh, and they do a sit and stictch every Friday evening. That might be helpful too.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
Just looked at the KP set. See those little end button things in the pic? Those are the pieces I use with my Denise's to make them straight needles, also use them to make the cords stitch holders, very convenient. So they should be able to do straight, circular, and stitch holders too. Anyone have the KP set? Can they do all three?
They can most definitely do all three.

I have the Boyes set and one set of needles in the Harmony and one in the Nickel. The Boyes set has the thick cord like the Denise, and let me tell you it DRIVES ME NUTS! I've been working on a soaker this week - it's too small for a 12 inch cable, but the cord is too thick to ML so I wind up having to use 2 circulars, with different size needles at either end in order to make it work. Driving me bonkers!!

I LOVE the KP set. The only reason I bought the Boyes set was because I found it locally for under $20. I also have a nickel allergy, but the KP tips don't bother me at all. Either way, I would go for the KP over anything else any day! Just be sure to buy a couple extra cords and caps while you're at it... I only have a couple cords and I have big projects on them, and am stuck not being able to use those needles because of it.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atobols View Post
cristeen - Thank you so much for your reply! Do you prefer the wood or the metal needles?
Mmm... that's tough.

I think I would probably get the wood, because the metal ones are really slick. But, if you're a tight knitter, the metal ones are really nice because they slide beautifully - one of my big projects is like this. I picked up live stitches off a machine knitted sweater (with an untwisted multi-ply), and didn't have any trouble with the stitches sticking. The wood ones are still pretty slick, but not AS slick as the metal. They both have really pointy ends though, something to keep in mind if you're a needle pusher (get a leather thimble).

BUT, I wouldn't turn down the metal ones if they were offered to me. And I think the metal ones are cheaper, too - so that may be what I wind up getting in the end.

So helpful, I know.
Like I said, I just LOVE the KP needles.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE

I finally found a store locally that had the denise set. I played with it a little and it felt kind of bulky to me. I decided to go with the nickel plated knit picks. I have not had any issues with the nickel bothering me and I have been using them for about 2 weeks now. So far I love them. I did have a small problem. I planned on knitting a baby hat as a baby shower present and I needed the size 6 needles. I used the sizer I also bought and realized that I didn't have size 6 in my set. I had been sent 2 sets of size 8 and no size 6. I just got off the phone with the customer service rep and she said they would send out a set of size 6 at no charge and that I should just keep the extra size 8 as a backup because it was their error. Sounds great to me

·
Registered
434 Posts
The other good thing about the KP ones is they are metrically accurate, useful if you knit European patterns like I do. Some of the Denise needles are things like 4.75 mm or something which means even though I have the Denise needles, I still have to have a stash of other circulars.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post

I love my Denise and have no problem doing Magic Loop with them. But am lusting after KP in Nickle.

I have them both KP harmonies and Denise and appreciate each of them for different reasons. Since I'm a knitter that's not really aiming for speed and I don't care for magic looping I don't mind the cable on the Denise. I do wish I had gotten the KP nickel rather than the harmonies because I've already had 2 tips break on the harmony. I also have had needles come out of the metal cup so there is no perfect system. I think it's really a good idea to try before you buy if you can because what I prefer isn't necessarily what you will prefer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.