Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you taught yourself to knit? Also, have any of you used the LTK Learn to Knit kit or booklet? If you get thekit, it comes with yarn and either size 8 or 10 needles? Does it matter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
i taught myswelf with that cheapy book from walmart. dont laugh it helped alot! It came with a book, stitch markers, stitch counter, 2 needles, 1 cable sts holder, 2 stitch holders and a few end protectors.
the rest such as different stitches I either ask my mom, gma or go to about.com's knitting stitch section.
Its simple once you memorize the abreviations lol lol
I think psso stumped me for 2 months (
: felt foolish when it clicked)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Taught myself from the book Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick, learned more and understood the why's better from the book Stitch and Bitch by Debbie Stoller.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I taught myself to knit back in April. I bought the LTK booklet and imho thought a lot of the pictures were fuzzy and not as clear as they could of been. With that said I still use it when I get stuck in something, and just finished her apron top pattern for my oldest dd. What really taught me to knit though was videos on line, but Im a visual learner. All the words and fuzzy pictures just confused me more. If you want the sites I used for videos, let me know and ILl round them up for you.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
My grandmother originally taught me to knit when I was about 8 or 9--I made clothes for my Sindy (think Barbie but with more realistic measurements) doll and for my cousin's Action Man (think Ken but more manly!). But I retaught myself much more recently than that. If you have someone show you the basics, then teaching yourself more complicated stuff it not too hard. Plus I went into my LYS and got help once or twice. Classes are the way to go if you can find them, I've taken classes since I retaught myself. I mostly used Debbie Bliss's How to Knit book. Her stuff is lovely. But the little cheap how to knit ones are just as good, they just don't have as nice practice patterns!

Alison

1 - 7 of 7 Posts