Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit it, I do not know how to knit. At all. My Gram tried once to teach me, when I was like 10 or so, but it was a no go and my other gram didn't knit, only crocheted. How would I go about getting started to learn to knit, knowing that I know no one IRL that can knit.
:

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Check out knittinghelp.com. It's all video based and absolutely wonderful! I taught myself using that site back in December and I feel I'm doing well.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Admitting that you don't know how to knit is the first step to becomming a knitter...

I like the book Stitch n Bitch. Knitting help is "the" internet resource- and if you get the DIY channel- there is a show called Knitty Gritty- they have a "knit-o-meter" at the start of the show which says the level of difficulty... watch all you can and try what you will.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I got one of those learn to knit kits from joannes with the 40% off coupon. That, a random skien of yarn (think simple, nothing too expensive, fancy or fuzzy) and knittinghelp.com and you're in business! The book that came with the set was very little help, but the kit had everything. Good luck, and watch out-it's addicting!!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've just learned in the last few weeks and knittinghelp.com taught me the basics. It is a great site. Since starting and using that site, I've been able to make some nice little projects. Give it a try!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I knitted my first project using knitting help.com and a pattern I got off of google just type in noro kureyon booga bag pattern and then click on black sheep bags booga bag pattern it is free you will be given all the instructions so just print it off and head to the knitting store for your supplies 10.5,16" circulars and stitch markers and 3 skeins of noro kureyon I used the #95 that the pattern suggest itis an easy project and the bag is gorgeous..Iam now going to attempt my second project a LTK Longies pattern .

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
(Can you tell I'm searching out all the newbie knitting threads?)

Anyway, in addition to knitting help dot com, nothing beats finding your local yarn store and sitting with the ladies there. I went in today, having just bought my materials and yarn yesterday. As soon as I walked in they said "Have a seat". Next to me was a girl knitting a little bunny, and soon another young woman came in with a bag of her project and said "the kids got into it." So out came her sweater, and a bunch of tangled yarn (I think she was knitting with 2 pieces of yarn at once.) Someone started helping her untangle and re-roll. As she re-rolled, she watched what I was doing and offered tips, etc. This wasn't even a class, just the regular drop in help.

the on line stuff is fine to learn, but I think you also need someone you can show your stuff to, so they can figure out where you went wrong, even if you can't.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've been knitting for 2 or 3 months now. (can't remember when I started) and have become quite addicted. I could crochet before and had made several aborted attempts to learn knitting, and this time I finally got it. I think all of the advice above is great. Also, after I had practiced the basics for a bit--casting on,knit, and purl, I just started making stuff and would just refer to books or online when I ran into something I didn't know how to do. My first real project was a wool wrap cover, which wasn't really the easiest thing to start with, and it's not perfect, but I learned several increases and decreases, ribbing, and got lots of practice with knitting and purling. So my advice is to just dive in, get help along the way, and enjoy!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I so wish we had a local yarn store, but the only crafty store we have is this small one in the next town and their big thing is toll painting.
I do wish I had a RL person to sit down and give me pointers cause I just can't seem to get the hang of knitting.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts

I have a LYS but I am really shy and didn't want to go there and talk to anybody.

I bought a book called Knitting Basics by Betty Barnden. That is how I learned. Little Turtle Knits has a Learn to Knit Kit(it is out of stock at the moment though)and Theresa is terrific at helping you understand how to actually do things.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought a kit at Target (in the scrapbooking section, near the cards), on clearance. That $5 I spent was SOOO worth it just for the DVD. The DVD has instructions for both continental and english, and many times I have replayed the different stitches (casting on, especially)! Knitting has been a sinch! (The rest of the kit (needles, yarn), btw, is worthless, imho.)

I've supplemented that learning with the knittinghelp.com website - what a HUGE and WONDERFUL resource!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.