Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for vacation this weekend and am trying to figure out if I should take any knitting or not...of course I want to, but I'm worried about dragging yarn around that I don't end up using. My other idea is to search out a yarn store in a new part of the country and just knit a scarf with what I find.

What are some small projects that you have taken with you in the past?

Thanks for the ideas!

p.s. I wish I had waited to do my Clapotis on vacation, I love knitting it

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Airplane? Car?

I would LOVE to be going on a car trip just so I COULD knit!

I second the socks.
Or something else small that you can do on short needles and, a simple pattern that you don't have to refer to every five seconds. Your scarf idea is a good one.
I would try to find a yarn on a skein. Whenever I buy hanks of yarn I roll it into a ball (maybe there is a better way?
) it's a pain to use in the car, because it always ends up rolling around the foorboard.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i will be taking lots of peace fleece and cotton on my drive with four kids and dh from phoenix to cleveland to chicago and back to phoenix. we leave on friday.

i will have to drive half the time or so and i don't like night driving so i might not get a lot done on the drive everyday, but i like winding down with it and when visiting with family that will wash diapers and take the kids to the park (can't go to the park here at 118 degrees this time of year)

i crochet mostly, but heard that doing as much as possible on circular needles is good for traveling.

i will be making wool tea sets and cotton fruits and veggies and little bags and wool soakers

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My problem, with knitting and life in general, is that I constantly overestimate what I can get done in any given amount of time. So I always pack more yarn than I need, intending to get more projects accomplished than humanly possible. So, this time I am going to be very selective with projects that I am taking. I say that, but I know I will have, at minimum 5 or 6 projects with me. If only I could limit myself to what I can actually accomplish. However, I am the sort of knitter that always needs at least 3 projects on the needles. I get really excited to knit on vacation as grandma doesn't see the kiddos much and is glad to do all that she can...yippee! Plus, the kids are travelling without dh and so I stay up way too LATE knitting. I love it! So here are my candidates:

1. Lopi Lace Scarf from Weekend Knitting in Peace Fleece
2. Top down cardigan for ds2 in yummy wool
3. Socks for my mom for her birthday--this one is a must do
4. Branching out or some sort of lacey shawl for a lady who is PAYING me to knit with her own alpaca.
5. Wrist warmers from current issue of Knitty.
6. Maybe gloves, haven't tried these yet.
7. Gigantic felted bag project...might leave this for at home.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I do simple things like washcloths. I finished three on my trip back home. We drove 800 miles and I needed something mindless.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm leaving for vacation early tomorrow morning. In an effort to spend as little time talking to my MIL as possible
, I am bringing 2 new projects (as in new skills), I'm going to try lace for the first time by working on Branching Out from Knitty. And I'm going to attempt my first pair of socks. For mindless/car knitting I'm going to bring a bunch of Sugar & Cream I just got a Michaels for $1 a ball and make some Mason-Dixon ballband dish cloths. should be interesting to try all this new stuff w/o an internet connection!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I knit baby things--booties and hats. I find that as soon as I finish them, I have the perfect recipient in mind, even if I didn't start out with any idea who it would be. I can bring a small amount of yarn, work on something interesting but not too taxing, and possibly even finish by the end of my travels. And I always regret brining projects that are big or that have stitch markers.

This is my favorite bootie pattern, but I modify it a bit by rounding off the soles. The picture, IMO, doesn't do the finished product justice, and they look really cute on.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
See, now, my mom gave me guilt last week when I was in her&dad's car that "those needles could be a weapon in an accident," meaning that they could go flying.

Ignoring the fact that I was using #9 Bryspun circs, which are a kind of plastic and aren't even pointy at the end and can't imagine them flying anywhere ... well, anyway, she guilted me out of doing any knitting at all.

Sigh.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the ideas. The trip is out/back is a plane ride with me and baby from OH to NV, there will be no knitting on that leg! But then we have 5 days at the lake and a few hours of driving too.

I've never knit socks and I probably don't have the time to get the yarn for them. (Everyone loves to knit socks it seems
I feel like I'm missing out!)

I do however have yarn for the wrist warmers. There is a pair in SnB that I wanted to make, I think that will be it for me!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by andreac
of socks. For mindless/car knitting I'm going to bring a bunch of Sugar & Cream I just got a Michaels for $1 a ball and make some Mason-Dixon ballband dish cloths. should be interesting to try all this new stuff w/o an internet connection!
This is what I am going to be knitting on our drive from NY to NC... I started one to make sure that I wouldn't run into a snag mid-trip and freak out because I don't have the M-D book, I found the pattern online. But it is easy peasy and works up pretty quick. And it's satisfying finishing each new section of "brick" and laying down more "grout". (That's how my 10y/o described it
) I have almost a dozen balls of cotton that are waiting to be turned into dishcloths, face cloths and other various lovies for the ladies in my family. 4 generations in one house. We are all going to be together for the first time in almost 20 years. Wish us luck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You know, I meant to say that I thought your idea of visiting a LYS and knitting something small with the yarn you got there was just precious! What a great memory! And if you knit something like those wrist warmers, you're sure to get lots of compliments and questions--plenty of opportunities to revisit your trip!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts