Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay! Im learning to knit! I already made a scarf :LOL But I really have no idea what Im doing! I need a book or something. I am totally overwhelmed and confused about yarn and needles and stitches. :LOL Whats worsted weight yarn? And I understand about the thickness/thinness of needles.. but what difference does the length of the needle make? I tried going to a class near my house and the lady showed me the knit stitch (garter stitch?) thats how I made the scarf.. on size 15 needles.. its really pretty. Everyone in my family is fighting over who's gonna get it
What a nice family I have
But, the teacher did the casting on for me.. and I had my neighbor show me the ending of it (im not sure what its called when you end the scarf.. haha) She ended up just doing it for me.. so I dont know how to do it now. Anyway, I think a book would be my best bet. I saw the learn to knit kit on the ltk website.. but I want to go out to the craft store and buy a book today! haha! I want to start another project.. it was so much fun, I dont want to wait! I would actually like to do a hat to match the scarf.. but not sure if such a newbie can do a hat?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Congratulations! Now the obsession begins! I've been knitting less than a year, but I think I can help with some things you asked...

Whats worsted weight yarn?

Different yarns have different weights/thicknesses. Some yarns are very fine (like for socks or baby clothes) and some are bulky & thick (this was probably what you used if you used #15 needles. Thicker yarns use fatter needles, finer yarns use smaller needles.

but what difference does the length of the needle make?
The needle length is important for what size piece you're knitting. You wouldn't be able to keep all the stitches for a man's size sweater on a short needle. I'm making little bean bags for dd to try out some new stitches & the only size 7 needles I have are long & it's a bit of a pain because they're awkward to work with on such a small project.

the knit stitch (garter stitch?)
Yes - if you knit all the time it's garter stitch, knittin on one side & purling on the other is stockinette stitch (it's flatter since the bumps are only on one side)

the teacher did the casting on for me
there are lots of ways to cast on, but the easiest if you know the knit stitch is to make a slip knot & put it on the left needle, put the right needle in & knit another stich but don't pull it off, but take the stitch on your right needle & put it on your left. You know have 2 stitches. Keep doing this until you have as many as you need.

and I had my neighbor show me the ending of it
Binding off is pretty easy - knit two stitches, grab the first stitch with the left needle & pull it over the second and off the needle, knit another stitch & repeat the same thing until the end of the row.

I think a book would be my best bet
If you have a craft store (Michael's, AC Moore) they have a kit like I can't believe I'm knitting or something like that. It has needles, counters, a ruler with holes to check needle size, etc. The projects aren't great, but it was about $10 (then a 40% off coupon) & I use all the stuff & refer back to the instructions.

If you're going to a book store you have a couple of options - there are some knitting for kids books which have super easy instructions & pictures and good projects. I also liked the Knit Stitch by Sally Melville which is all knitting (no purl stitch - that's the next book), Stitch & Bitch by Deb Stoller, which has a few less traditional projects.

I've also found my library has great books that I love to look through for project ideas & explanations.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You!! I have one more question.. how do I put fringes on the end of the scarf? Does anyone have a good link where I can learn this? I keep doing searches but ending up with nothing. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by konadogsmom
how do I put fringes on the end of the scarf? Does anyone have a good link where I can learn this? I keep doing searches but ending up with nothing. Thanks!

I don't have a link, but it's pretty easy & I'll try to explain it...
cut pieces of yarn about double the length you want the fringe to be & add about 2" (you can always trim it off later) & fold it in half.

use a crochet hook & put it through the scarf where you want the fringe, grab the pieces of yarn where it's folded & pull it through the hole partway.

put the ends through the loop & tighten & voila! you should have fringe!

I usually do one on each side of the scarf, then the middle, just so the fringe is placed somewhat evenly (on those really anal retentive days, I'll actually measure
: ).

I also forgot to mention one of my favorite websites - knitty.com! They have tons of projects, tips, techniques. It's somewhat along the lines of stitch n bitch where they have typical projects but also some cooler stuff - like a guitar strap, finger puppets, bikinis!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have to second Gwen's recommendation for "Kids Knitting". It really helped me get started, and the projects are quite nice! Your library can be an amazing source for knitting books, and you can poke through some to get an idea instead of / before buying.

I also like Stitch n' Bitch as a resource guide for questions that come up as I knit & learning less often used techniques.

Happy knitting!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I got the rec from someone here but as a new knitter I highly recommend Sally Melville's series. she has one book soley dedicated to the knit stitch and one for purl. each book has lots of info and very easy to follow! also there are lots of cute patterns. these are my knitting bibles. :LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.