Mothering Forum banner

knitting

355 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  crochetmama 
#1 ·
Hi!I need some advice about knitting.I want to learn how to knit,however no matter how I try.The tension gets tighter and tighter.This does this regardless of what needles or yarn I use.So can someone please advise me on how to learn how to knit?

#4 ·
Some of this is practice, practice, practice. I didn't get a "normal" tension until I started tackling rib and seed stitch, and for some reason that helped me ease off a lot.

#5 ·
Usually people purl looser than knit. Maybe if you tackle the purl stitch first- you would not have to fight the tension problem- and after you get good at purl- knit will follow right behind. That approach has the advantage of tacking the "harder" part first- so you may skip the whole "purl is so much harder to learn barrier" If you don't know the difference- you may find purl easier.

I agree with Lydia though- you are probably making your stitches on the points of your needles.

Love Sarah

#6 ·
You may also have your needles (and shoulders) scrunched up and close to your face. Put your needles a comfortable distance from your face, and keep them there
I've found that when teaching people to crochet (yes, I know you are knitting, but the principle applies) they start with their work on the table in front of them, but after a min or two the work is up close to their face and their shoulders are scrunched up (and making things much tighter).

Hugs,
tammy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.