Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one year old has a hemangioma under the skin on her cheek. We are stationed out of the country and haven't been able to see a real pediatrician. From what I've read it seems it can grow for up to 18 months and then could take 7 years for it to go away. She has some red spider viens on the surface above it too. I am wondering if anyone has or is going through this and if there's anymore info I should know.
thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My dd has one on the side of her back. When she was born the pede said that he would definitely recommend removing it if it was on her eyelid--eye area, but for anywhere else to wait and see.

Later that year we were all at the dermatologist's and she looked at it and said that she would *definitely* remove it, then started to describe the procedure--and dh and I looked at each other and were like "no thanks". We're much more of the wait and see type, especially when the alternative involves cutting and anesthesia.

How has your dd's hemangioma changed? Do you think it's getting bigger?

My dd's was it's biggest at birth (no larger than a dime), and has slowly shrunk. I was just looking at it the other day--she is 7--and although it has not disappeared completely, it is hard to notice unless you are looking for it. She does have a spidery vein sort of near it, but last I asked the pede expected this to fade as well.

I couldn't find the numbers you mention in your original post--the things I've read, maybe this is different because I wasn't thinking *face* but it seems like if it's not in a dangerous place, to wait and see then use the laser to lighten--later.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My dd has one on the back of her head. We first noticed it when she was 2 1/2 months old. She's now 9 1/2 months. It's gotten bigger. We had an ultrasound and it doesn't go into the skull, but our ped asked if we wanted to see a neurosurgeon. She said no one would remove it unless it was causing developmental problems, so we decided to wait. She said that usually they get smaller and are not noticeable by age 5.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My ds had one on the very top of his head. It appeared when he was about 6 months, and was completely gone by 2 years. They are harmless unless they obstruct something like seeing or breathing or interfere with eating. Is is poking out, or in towards her mouth?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My little brother had a hemangioma on his cheek when he was a baby. The doctor froze it off once or twice and it came back. When I was 11 and he was 1, he bumped it and it started bleeding and I put a rag up to his face until my mom could come over - but he struggled and the raised part actually came off in the rag I was holding. It's never come back since! Bodies are weird.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My ds (6) had 5 and most are gone now or significantly faded. From what I understand, unless they are threatening an organ (eyes, etc) you should leave them alone. The most noticable one was on his cheek, about an inch under his eye. I had two dermatologists that I met in passing (airplane and park) tell me to leave it alone (plus all his peds). Most go away and the scarring is not usually worth it . . .again, unless it is threatening an organ.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 4.5 year old has one on her cheek. The doctor said it would fade and should be gone by the time she's five. She's almost there, though, and it doesn't seem any lighter. I think it looks a little smaller, though, because her face has grown but it hasn't grown with her. She also has some spidery vein looking things around it. We call it her beautiful birthmark and I think it will be strange if it does eventually go away. It's just part of her now.

My sil had one on her eyelid as a baby and eventually it got smaller and went away. She says you can still see a faint mark there if you look closely but I've never been able to see it.

I think if it's in a place where it can cause discomfort then doctors will recommend removing it, but for the most part, I think they're harmless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.