I've had kombucha brewing for quite some time over here. I've had trouble finding the perfect brewing container, but I finally found a perfect one for us. The brew had been going a little too long, so I decided I'd trash this batch and start over. When I went to do that this morning, and discovered that it wasn't covered as tightly as I'd thought, and a fruit fly flew out when I uncovered it. I then found what may be eggs on the side of this bowl. Not sure, tbh. This has been brewing for a while, so it may just be old bits of the mushroom on the side. Anyway, my SCOBY mother now has a thick baby, so I tossed the mother and am using the baby (which was submerged completely, presumably away from any fruit flies that could have been nearby) for my new batch. Am I wasting my time? Should I just get a new mushroom? I imagine fruit flies couldn't actually live in kombucha because it's so acidic, but am I wrong?