Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
: Flu is running through our house. The older children are requesting something to drink and no one can stomach the taste of pure water. (I KNOW they want the ginger ale pop dh brought home
: ) What do you think? No one has been sick in the 2 years since starting to eat NT so the only thing I am familiar with is ginger ale. I made some broth yesterday and my ds promptly threw it up. I'll try that again today as he seems to be on the mend.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Kombucha or kefir soda or any other fermented drink would be good. Modern sports drinks are really modeled after traditional fermented drinks -- minerals and ions with a hint of sugars. Basically, for hydration, the traditional fermented drinks are perfect. When I'm sick, I use my palate as the guide to what I should be eating. If the kombucha seems too strong, I would dilute it a bit with water.

With bone broth, make sure you get it as clear as possible and skim off all the fats. When nauseous or very ill, anything remotely heavy or fatty can make you feel like throwing up. Also make it a bit less salty than usual.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I would think anything fermetened would be good.

Also, Alacer makes a great sport drink pack,
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=AL-7048

It's called Electromix. It can help hydrate you and a little goes a lonnnng way

Espeicially for throwing up, you want to make sure that what goes in has something to help digestion. Like a fizzy carbonated drink(or natural fermented drink) or better yet, a light mineral/salt mix.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I know I'm late chiming in, but coconut water can be wonderful for this. We keep tetrapacks of it here for illness. It replaces electrolytes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts