Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying my hand at Kool Aid dyeing natural colored wool yarn. The kids and I are having a great time and the results have been very pretty. I'm disappointed with the shade of yellow we get from lemonade though. Is there a brighter yellow? My grocery store did not have a very big selection of Kool Aid flavors (and a lot of them were that clear stuff or color change stuff) so I didn't have much to pick from. There were no other brands either (ie: no Wylers, etc). Suggestions anyone? Will it help if I just use a lot more lemonade? Or is there another flavor I should go in search of next time I visit a different grocery?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just the plain old drops of food coloring like you get at the grocery store? Is it pretty colorfast? Do I need to add vinegar or anything? I have read in various places that Koolaid does need vinegar and other places that it does not b/c it's already acidic. But the food coloring, I'm assuming would need more acid?

While we're on the subject, can I just use food coloring by itself? Anyone ever try that? Does it work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I didn't like the plain yellow (lemonade) either. Even a heavy concentration didn't work.

I like to blend the yellow with either a little orange or a little green, depending on the look I'm going for. It really helps to intensify the yellow.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice mamas. I'm going to try that Wiltons, I think. I want to go to Michaels the next time I get a chance to drive to the city to shop. (Walmart wouldn't carry that, would they?)

Update on my wool... I decided that since I had more Koolaid lemonaide on hand, I would try dyeing it a second time over the first. So I did a second round. To my pleasant surprise, it did turn out brighter. Not super bright, but definitely brighter yellow and much more pleasing when combined with the lemon-lime green (I dip-dyed the skein so one end was yellow and one green). Now it looks much prettier. This might be a solution for others who have limited supplies and want a better yellow than the original lemonade color.

Funny side note: DH came home when I was "cooking" the wool in the microwave to set the dye. He was appalled by the smell and asked me what on earth was in the microwave. I told him it was, "steamed wet sheep dipped in lemonade".
He was not a fan.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another update on my yarn. Recall that I "recooked" the yellow half of this skein in a second dyebath of lemonade Koolaid. The color came out a brighter yellow after being dyed twice. Unfortunately, when I checked out the dried yarn this morning, the yellow end of the yarn is much stiffer and less soft than the green. I think it felted some when I cooked it the second time. I don't know if that is simply the result of cooking twice or if it's b/c the second round got too hot. I put it in the microwave for the same amount of time, but when I took it out, the water was almost gone from the bowl. I think it might have actually boiled. I should have set the micro for less time since I had half as much water in there. I simply was not thinking.

Anyway, I am knitting a little bag with the yarn. I hope to make it just big enough to hold some knitting or crochet needles or something like that. I plan to felt it so the condition of the yarn won't matter so much. And I'll line it w/ some pretty fabric. Should be a nice project from my not-quite-perfect yarn. The colors *are* very pretty in any case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.