Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all :smile: Happy Thanksgiving! I am new to this forum.Nice to meet all of you!:x

I am a mother of a 2nd grade kid. I just want to share my feeling about Kumon and Beestar here, and see if anyone has other suggestions.

My child used to use Kumon in Hong Kong. As Kumon is a well-established company that provides generic math and reading practices, I felt comfortable to send my kid to Kumon in Hong Kong. Last year, he came to America as a 1st grader. He was around average in math in school, and I wanted to find more practices for him. His teacher recommended Beestar to me. Beestar provides weekly exercises for most subjects that my child needs to learn in school. Its progressive exercises match the school’s curriculum. Beestar's math program is completely free. Its problems are interesting and solutions are thought provoking. Since we started using it a year ago, my child's math has improved significantly and now he often gets on the weekly honor roll for his accuracy and speed. He loves Beestar as it allows him to learn using technology. His school teacher praises his math, too. We enjoy it very much. Compare to Kumon, Beestar is more aligned to US curricula taught in school and the content is American culture based. I also love how Beestar provides a gift-talented math program for kids; I am thinking to enroll my child into the gift-talented math program in next semester. Personally, I would suggest Beestar over Kumon. We like Beestar better. It is great for talented math students and is especially helpful for kids who want to learn American history and culture.

I am still pretty new to this country. I want to know if anyone has also tried Beestar or Kumon or other services? Do you like them?

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I abhor Beestar's affiliate rewards program which encourages people to come to sites like Mothering and post thinly veiled advertisements in exchange for discounts. Turned me right off even considering their products.

Miranda

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all :smile: Happy Thanksgiving! I am new to this forum.Nice to meet all of you!:x

I am a mother of a 2nd grade kid. I just want to share my feeling about Kumon and Beestar here, and see if anyone has other suggestions.

My child used to use Kumon in Hong Kong. As Kumon is a well-established company that provides generic math and reading practices, I felt comfortable to send my kid to Kumon in Hong Kong. Last year, he came to America as a 1st grader. He was around average in math in school, and I wanted to find more practices for him. His teacher recommended Beestar to me. Beestar provides weekly exercises for most subjects that my child needs to learn in school. Its progressive exercises match the school's curriculum. Beestar's math program is completely free. Its problems are interesting and solutions are thought provoking. Since we started using it a year ago, my child's math has improved significantly and now he often gets on the weekly honor roll for his accuracy and speed. He loves Beestar as it allows him to learn using technology. His school teacher praises his math, too. We enjoy it very much. Compare to Kumon, Beestar is more aligned to US curricula taught in school and the content is American culture based. I also love how Beestar provides a gift-talented math program for kids; I am thinking to enroll my child into the gift-talented math program in next semester. Personally, I would suggest Beestar over Kumon. We like Beestar better. It is great for talented math students and is especially helpful for kids who want to learn American history and culture.

I am still pretty new to this country. I want to know if anyone has also tried Beestar or Kumon or other services? Do you like them?
I am still learning to help my child a bit academically. Just experienced those two and other programs pretty recently. We tried Kumon with a neighbor friend. It's a nice program but apparent not appealing for kids of this young age. In my opinion, it's actually quite boring for a little one to learn math this way. We will possibly try it again if he needs it in couple years. We did sign up online beestar and found the amount of weekly work reasonable. The questions are interesting and not repetitive so my son likes them. Math and Science practice are what we signed him up so far at Beestar. He is super excited after seeing his name on a Science honor roll list. I am fine with this much of academic work outside of his classroom. I don't know about any incentive programs and I learned about kumon and Beestar from here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I abhor Beestar's affiliate rewards program which encourages people to come to sites like Mothering and post thinly veiled advertisements in exchange for discounts. Turned me right off even considering their products.

Miranda
I don't like ads, either. I actually learned more about Kumon and Beestar here and found the posts helpful. They are better than the services we used before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mean Kumon obviously is a great program. A lot of kids and parents are talking about it and it has been very popular among them. My kids used to go there a lot and get their homework done. However, I found out about Beestar last year and I had my kids to try it out. It's a free online learning website with very good contents. It's been a year and I see a lot of progress on them. The fact that it is free of charge, I also saved a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts