Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ooops posted in June.
It's July...already?
Thanks Mountainfairie! Woodland Hills is a bit of a drive but
with that kind of a recommendation we'll check him out!

I forgot to mention in my last post that I recently went again to the Huntington Gardens here in Pasadena and they have a new children's garden. It's really cool! There's lots of kid size tunels, water things, misty things and some sciencey type things too. It's new and the greenery is still growing in but I imagine that when it's all grown in it will be beautiful.

We went with some friends who have a 4 yr. old and she loved it!
Emma June is 9 mo. and she loved all the water. (I put up a picture of her under my signature). Anyway this is a great place, lots of huge koi and ducks and of course beatuiful gardens, I highly recommend it if you haven't been. It's a bit expensive for adults $12.50 but you can literally spend all day here and I think there's a free day at the begining of every month.

There's no picnics
: but we brought food and ate as we walked around
and when we sat on the big lawns by the lily pond. Nobody even looked at us.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think the free day is the first thursday of the month. I've been wanting to check out the children's garden there. Descanso gradens is a really fun and beautiful place as well and the admission is only $5 and kids under 6 are free.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi everyone! I am an infrequent poster, and keep trying to make an effort to come here more often. I have posted in prior LA threads, but never consistently.

To recap, I am Stephanee and live in the Valley. I have 11 year old Emma and 15.5 month Nicolas. We are TTC #3.

Looking forward to chatting!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Stephanee :)

I'm in Ventura County...moved here last summer from Montreal with dh (who is Quebecois) and our boys.

Okay, is it just me, or does your sig say your 11yo dd is nursing? :)

My 5yo is nursing. I wonder sometimes how many more years we'll be going.

It was nice tonight to get a break from nursing *both* boys to sleep (5yo asks most nights but usually falls asleep before younger sibling is finished, and I usually make them nurse separately) ... they fell asleep on the way home from fireworks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Amoreena Hi there! I remember talking to you before... I am Canadian too (from Toronto) and moved to LA 7-1/2 years ago.

I was wondering if my sig smilies were going to be confusing... but no, I am not nursing my 11 year old! LOL I better move that first one!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainfairie
I think the free day is the first thursday of the month. I've been wanting to check out the children's garden there. Descanso gradens is a really fun and beautiful place as well and the admission is only $5 and kids under 6 are free.
yes, the first thurs of every month is the free admission day to Huntington, so i think that must mean free admission to the whole shebang. the site says use of the children's garden is "free" with regular admission. it's $75 for a year membership.

we just joined the SB zoo, which gets us discounted or free admission to many other zoos nationwide, including the LA Zoo at 50%.

where is descanso gardens?

i'd like to plan a first thursday to huntington. that would be *this* thursday for july, july 8. not sure i'm up for it this week. no wait, it was last thursday the 1st. so anyway, for august it would be Thur Aug 5.

anyone wanna plan to meet thurs aug 5 at huntington?

don't forget there's tuesday July 27 at the Audubon Center at Debs Park when/where we've set a date (well, romma and mtfairie and i did!).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just answered my own question about descanso by doing a web search. their website descanso.com says general admission is now $6 for adults, $1.50 for kids 5 to 12, and kids under 5 are free.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi ladies, I have never been to this forum before and I want to kick myself for not finding it sooner. My name is Julie and I have a 2yo DD. We live in Sylmar and we too go to Descanso and Huntington when we can. I would like to join in on a trip but I will not have a car until September. I will keep abreast on what you other LA moms are doing because I want to join in on the fun.

And yes Huntington is free the 1st Thursday of every month also if you but a membership you can get another adult in for free.

Julie

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Julie! Look forward to meeting you. We're out in Ventura County but now and then I make drives east for various meetings, mostly of this group. Have you been to the Audubon Center at Debs Park? It's fabulous! Three of us met there in June and are doing so again Tue Jul 27. I dunno if there's any way you can get there or how far that is from you but if not then, hope to meet you when you have wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi la mommies! just a quick introduction...i'm Ashley, fairly young momma (i'm 23) to 10 week old dd Kaia Nui. wondering if there are any other new moms in the los feliz, silverlake, echo park area??? hope eveyone had a happy 4th of july....my little one was totally enthralled by the fireworks!!!

take care all!
~smashduff

p.s. does anyone take their kids to dr. paul fleiss over in hillhurst? he's come very highly recommended, our 1st appt w/him is tomorrow morning. hoping he's down with the no vax way of thinking......

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello LA moms! I'm Marcy and am new to this site, and don't have any kids yet, but am starting to look for a midwife in the Ventura County area. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Marcy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow so many new moms!!! This is great! Hello all. I'm Tracey and I live in Tujunga with my almost 4yr. old son Noah and my 5 month belly bean. We homeschool and are always looking for other moms to get together with. Julie I'm not too far from you. I'm up for the Huntington August 5th Amor, and would love to meet anyone else there as well. I'm going to be a tentative for the Audubon as we'll be getting back from Yosemite shortly before that and I don't want to overschedule. Gotta run, must go feed the opossums...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi Amoreena- I have never been to Audubon center, never even heard of it, I dont even know where Debs park is. Do you have a web address for the center? I look forward to meeting you too.

Ashley - Hi, I am also 23yo. Dr. Fleiss is our ped, he came highly recomended by our midwife and has been great. Likes to do things naturally and pushed BFing and not circing.

Tracey - You are close to us! We should plan a get together!

I will try for the Huntington on August 5th also.

This is exciting!

Julie

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi all! Just drove home from Sacramento. Arrived at 1:30 and can't sleep. So glad to be home. Had a beautiful, blessed and relaxed vaca visiting all of my fathers family. Mostly spent time with daddy and sissy. We spent three days at my dads in the pool eating and drinking to our hearts content with friends and family. Parker had so much fun in the water. It was really his big first experience. He only takes showers with us because he doesn't care much for the bath so it was neat to see him spend hours in the pool with everyone. We all have new tans. I was so spoiled as DH and Parker spent so much time together. I was just a boob or two for most of the trip. We bought $100 of fireworks and let them off almost every night. Parker has found his voice. He is so cute and sucks everyone in. He has two new names given to him on the trip. Bubs and P diddy. Doubt they'll stick but it was fun while it lasted. He was so nervous about the dogs at my sisters but gleefully let out a long hiiiiii everytime they came near as he climbed up to the top of whoever was holding him.

I am home for two days then off to SB for two weeks for the girls wilderness camp. I am so excited for them. I wish I could go. I'll be staying with a friend and coming home every few days to be with DH.

Looking forward to planning some gatherings after July 26. Will be at Audobon on the 27. Went again before I left and went on the hike. Love that place. Let's go to Huntington(?) the first Thurs of Aug!

Might not have a chance to check in much this month but will lurk for gatherings planned for Aug!

Love to all and yeah for newbies. Welcome!

Blessed be~
Rommi

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been posting in the General Area. Amoreena told me about this thread. This month I will be lurking the board and next month I anticipate being much more involved once we're settled in.

My name's Amy and my dh, JOe, dd, Eileen, and two furry roommates, Rocky and Amber will be moving to Camarillo soon. We're heading out of ND the end of this month as my dh will be starting a new job at CSU-CI Aug. 2. We're still working out the details of our move, dates, etc. but once we're settled in Camarillo (w/ internet) I'll be sure to hop online and let you all know we're in CA!! I am soooooo excited about our move and even more excited to have found some mamas in our new neighborhood!!
: YAY!! Have a great day everyone!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi everyone!
to all the new mamas...I'm new too!

We'd like to try for Audobon again.
And of course Huntington too,
although, is anyone worried about it being too hot? Hopefully this nice
cool weather will continue.

Emma June got to spend the holiday with her cousins, 3 and 8. She so funny
tooling around after those older boys. She played with matchbox cars and rubber bugs the entire time. I love it when she gets to play with other kids.

Can't wait to meet up with you all...here's what we look like hee hee
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dav...&.dnm=4f28.jpg

1 - 20 of 91 Posts