Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently heard from 2 of my fellow VBAC friends that their OB told them there were good canidates for a VBAC because they have never been in labor before.

Anyone know the reason behind that???

Curious cuz I have never heard that before and not sure I know why that would make much of a difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Tammy,

The only thing I have heard that may somehow be connected to this is that doctors say this when they mean women who were sectioned for cases such as breech (no labor, just scheduled the section) because these tend to be non-recurring reasons for section. That is the only thing I have heard of that could be connected to this. Also, some jerks say if you have labored unsuccesfully that means you probably have a problem and won't be able to birth vaginally. Who knows though... there may be some scientific reasoning I haven't heard of. I will see if I can find anything on this and let you know

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I've actually heard that the further along in labor you are the better chance for a vbac. I'm trying to remember the reason, I'm sure some of the mws here can elaborate. It's going to drive me crazy now, I can't believe that I've forgotten the reason.
Sorry

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjewell View Post
Hi, I've actually heard that the further along in labor you are the better chance for a vbac. I'm trying to remember the reason, I'm sure some of the mws here can elaborate. It's going to drive me crazy now, I can't believe that I've forgotten the reason.
Sorry
: I've also been told that the further you progressed before the first surgery, the more likely you were to have a successful VBAC. I think the reasoning is along the lines that your body worked fine up to X point, which means you have every reason to expect it will again. If whatever happened then is "non-repeating," then even better. But there are also many things that can simply be managed differently (like a cervical lip, in my case) to assure that it doesn't happen again.

So, the thought there is that the more you've labored, the more your body has already gone through and the easier it will be to do again. Now that I've had one successful VBAC, I'm really hoping that's true!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Surgeons are constantly trying to justify and rationalise stuff in this way. So does that mean women who've never had babies before are also great candidates for it? Not in the obstetric model! It means they're "unproven pelvises" and must line up for "delivery" with all the bells and whistles possible. What surgeons do is surgery. They ignore all the ways they CAUSE the surgery - induction, booked surgery, criminal misuse of unnecessary interventions - and put it all on us and our faulty bodies. It makes me really really angry. The likelihood of a BIRTH at any time is only as good as the careprovider you choose, not whether or not you've laboured, whether or not you're a size 10 or have a BMI of 20, or you labour before 41 weeks or any of that self serving rubbish they tell us to make out that surgery is some miracle thing that happens in isolation. Surgeons have no place in normal birth.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The OB who did my surgury explained to me that the best canidates for a VBAC are those who have delivered vaginally before, but have not had many children or many c-sections. Also one would be a better candidate if the reason for the c/s was due to something that was not likely to repaet itself, something that didn't have to do with the woman's body necessarily. Like in my case, my first was born vaginally with no complications, so we know my body is perfectly capable of a vaginal delivery. My second daughter was born c/s due to her cord being around her neck, not something that is likely to repeat itself.

I have never heard that it's better if you havn't labored before. It doesn't really make much sense to me. But as usuall the medical system doesn't make much sense to me when it comes to this issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had my VBAC without having labored before. my Dr didn't say I was a better candidate but said I was a good candidate because they had no reason to assume I couldn't deliver vaginally (first birth was an emergency c/s for fetal distress and breech baby). He said they'd consider me pretty much a "first time labor" in all aspects except for the extra precautions they take for VBAC births (fetal monitorin etc).

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think those reasons sound about right, at least as far as what the doctors are thinking.

I had 5 days of pit labor and a c/s, then 6 days of pit labor and a c/s, then a very uneventful UBAC. It was long and hard, but not as long and hard as those hospital births. There was nothing abnormal about the birth, unless you count backlabor/sunnyside up birth as "abnormal". I don't.

Kiley

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.