Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in September when my ds was born, I was in labor for 36 hours, which I know, is not uncommon. But, 32 of those hours were spent with contractions 2-4 minutes apart. A little more than halfway through, my midwife checked me and realized I wasn't dilating and had a lot of scar tissue due to a previous LEEP. So, she manually helped my cervix to dilate by breaking down some of that tissue. And eventually, my cervix opened on it's own from there.

Anyway, I'm wondering if that (the scar tissue) was the main reason my contractions weren't doing anything. If they were that frequent and hard, wouldn't you normally dilate, or could there have been something else keeping things from progressing?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
yes your experience is not uncommon-- and actually if at hr 32 she broke the adhesions then you finished in 4 hours--so your earlier labor was doing everything except opening your cervix

for women who have had procedures that could have left scar tissue it is important to check dilation because this can happen breaking up scar tissue sooner rather than later can keep a labor from being overly long. more than once women have not been checked and have labored for hours the scar tissue is broken up and the mom with a dilation of 2-3 goes to 8-complete in minutes

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I see that a lot with scar tissue. no matter how forceful the contractions, the adhesions don't break up. When you feel it, it feels like cellophane, kind of crinkly. I have had to poke my finger through it before I could get it to rub out the adhesions. Once you get through them, the adhesions tend to rub away nicely. I use EPO oil when I rub them. Once the cervix gets to four cm, the rest of the labour goes smoothly.
If anyone knows a better way to break them up, I'd love to hear about it. Breaking them up hurts quite a bit.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenbeing
Thanks for replying!

So, now that the tissue has been broken and the cervix opened, things should be pretty normal next time around??
unless you have had another procedure it should be fine---

1 - 6 of 6 Posts