Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to do a homebirth (this is my first -- due at the end of August), and am in the process of putting together a stash of labor snacks and drinks (for myself and the labor support crew) and comfort items for during and after the birth. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to include? What things are you making sure you have on hand?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I was forced to consume a lot of miso broth. It kept me going. I really only wanted to eat peanut butter toast. The beverage Recharge was handy too. It's also nice to have some handy food for DP and midwives and whoever else will be around to eat. Things could go on for a while!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I only had my DH and kids (as well as midwife) at my birth so I didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. My births are also pretty quick (4 hours) so it wasn't going to be a big issue to have a lot around. I made sure to go grocery shopping and keep things stocked up and then did get a lot of juice (and chocolate)
in case my sugar was whacky and I needed a pickup. I would probably have simple things in a basket on the counter....granola bars, fresh fruit, etc...things that are quick for company to grab and not have to be prepared at all.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had quite a long labour. At the end of Active and in Transition, I didn't want to eat anything. I was in labourland! The midwifes kept shoving spoonsful of honey in my mouth, as well as big glasses of water. They had recipes for electrolyte drinks that I could've made but they said that they taste nasty

Oh, also, a few days before I went into labour, I made a huge batch of banana muffins with dried fruit in them. (they freeze beautifully and are wondeful with cream cheese on top) They were great for the first few weeks of breastfeeding when I'd wake up famished at least twice each night. Fruit is also really good for this. Any snacks that you can put next to the bed so you don't have to get up to go searching are excellent. PM me if you'd like the recipe for the muffins.

Congrats on your homebirth! It's such a wonderful thing to have a baby in your own home.

eta: oops, reading Kelly's post, I just realized that you were talking about snacks for the attendees. I still say muffins and fruit, though! That way, anything left over can be consumed by you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing! I will have to keep an eye on this post. My MW recommended keeping some Gatorade on hand for me.

As far as snacks for labor:
Gatorade, yogurt, popsicles, fruit,

For support people:
I need some ideas too!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
ugh, gatorade is full of high fuctose corn syrup and artifical dyes. not a great choice for a laboring woman's body.

a natural juice alternative is "recharge" or an electrolyte water called "smartwater."

i plan on having smartwater and raw honey on hand.

even plain orange juice is good.

for other, cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts, pretzels, crackers, nut butters and rice cakes or graham crackers. water, juice, coffee, tea. easy stuff!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I only ate/drank during my first birth. I had Recharge and apple sauce. Both of which I threw up. The other births were too quick to get thirsty or hungry.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Pears. Taste the same going down as they do coming up. So if you barf, it wont taste ick. Anyway, good way to get a hit of sugar too. Cut em up into small cubes and you're all set.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I recommend the Emergen-C electrolyte solutions you can find in health food stores and even now a lot of mainstream grocery stores. They will help give you energy and help keep you hydrated....at least they did for me I should say

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
For myself, I have fruit like kiwi, nectarines, peaches, and plums. I also have Wheat Thins and granola bars. For everyone else, I'm getting a veggie tray and a meat and cheese tray. G2G DS is demanding breakfast

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Iced RRL Tea~! With my ds I sipped this all throughout labor!

nuts and cheese, crackers and fruit are al good to have too!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefragile7393
I recommend the Emergen-C electrolyte solutions you can find in health food stores and even now a lot of mainstream grocery stores. They will help give you energy and help keep you hydrated....at least they did for me I should say

That's what my MW gave me to drink during pushing because I was SO spent. I had a total of 36 hours of labor. Most of the first 24 I ate and drank like normal. Once my water broke (the last 7 hours) and things were really moving along I just drank water and OJ. I had a banana within like 15 minutes of my water breaking and kept feeling like I was gonna hurl it for a few hours, but then that passed and I never did throw up.

The Emergen C drink didn't taste that good but my MW really encouraged me to drink it for energy cause it was a long hard labor that included and hour and 28 minutes of pushing my little acynclatic (sp?) boy out and after all that time with almost two days of no sleep...I needed all the energy I could get.

After the birth and herb bath I asked for some toast with butter and a banana and it was like heaven to me. Then I went to sleep.

Mandy

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Also planning 1st homebirth, and I plan on having a list of snack and juice options. Then in early labor, someone else can run out and stock up on a few of the items. I am hypoglycemic, so very concerned about having stuff around.

Miso soup was a good idea. It is extremely healthy. I plan on having milk and OJ for sure, though I've heard the acid in OJ can prolong labor. Don't know if true or not, but my brain litterally sometimes says to me "OJ" so I plan on having it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Pears. Taste the same going down as they do coming up. So if you barf, it wont taste ick. Anyway, good way to get a hit of sugar too. Cut em up into small cubes and you're all set.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Last time I kept honey on hand as well as electrolyte drinks as mentioned above. I also wanted some high protein snacks and bought these wonderful cashew bars at the health food store. I wish I could tell you the name, but I can't remember. They were mostly cashews (ground up) and honey. YUMMY and satisfying. Maybe there are some other bars that you would like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts