Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the dumb question, but... a few days ago i made myself a big glass bottle of laborade (water, lemon juice, honey & sea salt) & put it in the fridge. i'm 40w +1d today, and was wondering how long it will last? (the drink, that is, not the pregnancy
)
is there a point where it won't be safe to drink? (i.e. if i don't go into labor for another 2 weeks)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanddollarmama View Post
I have no idea but what does Laborade do exactly? I have never heard of this before.
it's just an electrolyte/energy drink (like gatorade) to replenish sugars/minerals/salts you might lose during labor. i've never used one before (my last labor was much too short anyway) but thought i might give it a try this time around.

i don't really want to drink it until i'm actually in labor (it's a little too salty, i find), whenever that may be...

·
Registered
33 Posts
is laborade actually good? i've been thinking about going to the store and getting the supplies to make it. My midwifes suggested it, but does it work, and will I actually want to drink it?

Wife to Curtis
: the farmer, mother to Ethan
14 months and 36 weeks 3 days pregnant with boy #2
12-30-08

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I trust homemade lemonade in the fridge about 7-10 days, so I guess that long would be fine.

Is it good? - It's just like lemonade but with a little salt and minerals, which makes it taste extra good if your body needs it. Kinda like how I hate Gatorade normally but when I'm really thirsty it's awesome.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
You can also use herbal tea, like raspberry leaf for laborade. My mw wants me to have some laborade on hand and when I asked she said RRL would be fine in place of the "water". I have yet to try it tho..but love RRL..so hopefully it will be good!

Found this and this.

Basic recipe:
1/3 c. lemon juice (energy)
1/3 c. honey (energy)
1/4-1/2 tsp salt (prevents dehydration)
1/4 tsp baking soda (calms the stomach)
1-2 calcium tablets, with magnesium, crushed (relaxes muscles)
Add enough water to make 1qrt.

I saved the empty glass jars of juice (the organic kind) and they are 1qrt. I have 3 of these and a 4th for a back up that I will have filled and ready when I start labor and have them near me in the room I birth in. I think I'll make a few w/ RRL and a few w/ just water, jic.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
chic2chic...wanted to say that you can always freeze it and when labor begins take it out asap to have handy, if you want.
that's a great idea. i'll do just that.
and i already drink RRL daily.

thanks for all the suggestions...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.