Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Anyone have advice or experience on coping with labor and keeping things pleasant and safe with a preterm birth or other high risk things that required monitoring? Her positions will be limited by the EFM belt, maybe an IV I suppose. Can one even labor upright with that on? With my DS1 while I wore that I couldn't get off my back in a semireclined bed or it lost signal, not even on my side (though side lying hurt me bad, I had to sit up to feel ok). The mom is getting a little weak from a long bedrest also, was quite active and athletic up til 3 months ago.</p>

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
<p>She should ask for (demand!) the portable monitor, which works remotely so you can move around. I had a pit-augmented labor with #1, so was on both IV and the portable monitor, so I walked around, labored in the tub, etc. The only huge PITA is that moving around means they lose the signal a LOT, so they had to keep coming in to adjust the stupid thing. Really distracting and annoying, but better than being on your back in bed! She should definitely talk to her MW/OB ahead of time to make sure they understand she wants to labor/birth naturally, so they can plan accordingly. Maybe an experienced doula would help too?</p>

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
<p>I have had a nurse tell me to hold the toco in place on the woman's belly while she was in hands and knees and rocking on the bed.  You might try that if it starts slipping. </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
807 Posts
<p>I have had 2 preemies. I wasn't monitored during the active portion of my labor with my first because I hadn't told anyone the contractions had really picked back up, and they rushed me to the delivery room and I pushed her out in a few minutes. But with my second, I went in at 33 weeks knowing full well what I wanted and I let them know. If there isn't a reason for them to fight you on it, they wont if you are insistent. I wasn't hooked to an IV (I had one placed and hep locked for my antibiotics)  and they used a doppler instead of the EFM so I was able to move around.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts