Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a school nurse in our city school district. I have 3 elementary schools and one middle school that I currently serve. We are an urban district and today I just learned(there are so many kids here and of course I don't know them all or their business!)there is a new pregnancy and also one student with a 5month old DD. I called the new momma in to meet her and provide encouragement. She told me she leaves everyday at lunch to nurse her DD. I applauded her efforts and told her I am currently nursing my 17 mo. old LO. I told her if she needs anything, she can come see me, can use my office for nursing if baby is here, etc. She said she plans to breastfeed for at least 3 years, b/c "that's what people in my country do"(she is Somali). We also discussed the lack of breastfeeding in the U.S. and I gave her my opinions about formula. She said neither of her sisters nursed their babes. BUT KUDOS TO HER!! She is 13!!! She is loving BFing and knows how important it is!
:

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Wow! That girl and her baby are so lucky to have good BF support at home! It's reasonable to assume, if she sees BFing for 3 years as the norm, that her own mother is fully supportive and helped her through any bumps in the beginning of the nursing relationship.

It's sad that her sisters didn't nurse their babies though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.